8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 8:47 AM by philmodjunk

use another layout within a frame?

jfalberg

Title

use another layout within a frame?

I don't believe I was all that clear in my last posted question, so I have as a 2 attachments some screenshots about it.

In the first screenshot I have a free layout which I intend to use within a frame of the second screenshot (iframe in html terminology) along with scrolling bars on right and bottom since the height will be longer than would fit.

Is it possible in Filemaker 11 or 12 what I'm trying to accomplish or should I tell my boss he'll have to deal with the fact it cannot be done?  If possible, then how?

screen1.png

• 1. Re: use another layout within a frame?
          jfalberg

2nd screenshot

• 2. Re: use another layout within a frame?
            philmodjunk

It's hard to seem much detail in your screen shot. I can zoom my browser in, but it's still comes up hard to read.

You cannot set up a layout inside a layout in FileMaker.

What IS possible: (I am assuming that you are using FileMaker Pro--not a web browser to view the data.)

Put a portal to the Subject Information table. This can look like a small form view layout if you limit the number of portal rows and resize the row to be much taller. This can give you a vertical scroll bar, but not a horizontal scroll bar.

You can pop up the subject Information in it's own window. This window would float in front of the window with the Case Information and it could have both vertical and horizontal scroll bars like any other window.

If you have FileMaker 12, you can use Execute SQL to return the results of a query to a text field. This field can be sized to take up a large portion of your layou tif you want and data within it can be organized into columns with tab stops controlling the width of each column. Like a portal, you can give such a field a vertical scroll bar but not a horizontal one.

• 3. Re: use another layout within a frame?
              jfalberg

So I created a portal within my tab and I'm trying to copy and paste from my other layout into this portal by right-clicking on the blank portal and selecting "Paste Layout Objects(s) thinking that would do the trick.

I would try to resize my portal thinking it would activate the scrollbar but when I go to view what I have it looks like my layout objects are connected with the parent tab rather than the grey portal area I had created as seen in this screenshot attachment so I'm wondering what I'm missing or doing wrong here.

• 4. Re: use another layout within a frame?
                philmodjunk

I think you need to look up "portal" in FileMaker help. I'll help all I can, but a little reading to fill in the "background" on this tool will help.

A portal requires a relationship between two table occurrences in Manage | Database | Relationships. A "table occurrence" is shown as a "box" here. Each refers to a specfic table on the tables tab and you can create more than one that refers to the same table.

What relationship did you define for your portal?

I'm trying to copy and paste from my other layout into this portal by right-clicking on the blank portal and selecting "Paste Layout Objects(s) thinking that would do the trick.

This will work for pasting layout text, buttons, graphics--provided that you paste into the portal row, not just into the portal. But is unlikely to work for pasting a field object as the field must contain the correct data reference. This will refer to a table occurrence--usually the portal's table occurrence and a field. Get the wrong reference here and it won't work as the relationship you set up for the portal controls how data shows up in the portal.

When you first create the portal on the layout, you the set up wizard asks you what fields to add. Adding fields at this point will be the simplest, most error free way to do so. You can also use the field tool to add fields to the portal row, but then you must be careful to select fields from a table occurrence that will work with the portal.

I would try to resize my portal thinking it would activate the scrollbar

While in layout mode, double click the portal to open the portal setup... dialog. There, you'll find a check box for enabling the scroll bar.

There are two parts to a portal, the portal and the portal row. You can resize the portal and you can also resize the portal row. A portal row determines how much space is allocated for one related record, so increase the size of the row to provide more space for the related record, increase the size of the portal to provide space for more related records to be visible at one time.

The same portal setup dialog controls the number of rows displayed in your portal. Thus, you can use it to reduce the number of portal rows, then increase the height of the portal row to make more space for more fields in the portal row.

Please note that much depends on the structure of your data as to how or if this will work for you.

• 5. Re: use another layout within a frame?
                  jfalberg

I presently have a one-to-one relation of CFQCase::MessageNumber = Answer::MessageNumber though I may also have a one to many relation with CFQCase::MessageNumber with 3-4 other tables I will need to display data from.  So if I understand correctly, I can create a portal and adjust the height for the portal.  For the one portal row I only intend to use, I see I can go to Portal Setup but I can't seem to find where I can adjust the height so I can have my enabled Show vertical scroll bar to work as desired.

This also raises a few other questions: 

1. In Filemaker, is there a way to suppress a line if blank rather than to have empty space?

2. Is it also possible to have another portal within a portal?

While as a last resort I can use a separate layout so long as I have buttons to go back, my boss would rather have the visual navigation available as well.

• 6. Re: use another layout within a frame?
                    philmodjunk

You do not get a scroll bar by adjusting the height of the portal. It is enabled, or not in portal setup.

The scroll bar will enable you to scroll through multiple related records, you cannot create a portal row that is taller than the portal's height so you can not use it if only one related record will appear in the portal.

Please remember what I said earlier: much depends on the structure of your data as to how or if this will work for you.

If you can display the data from multiple related records, then you can use the scroll bar to scroll through them on the portal.

• 7. Re: use another layout within a frame?
                      jfalberg

Since the portal method doesn't appear to do what I intend to do, I'm now looking into one other option where I have a field or calculated field where I can string together the content I want to display which I know will have a scroll bar at least.  I am also wondering if by doing so I can also format certain portions of the text to either be bold, colored and/or have indentations almost like I am formating an html page in a way.  I may also have to break down my cases into 4-5 sections in separate tabs like this as well.  My method of using a script to populate a field as opposed to having a calculated field is due to my having multiple persons to a case where I may need to display all names and addresses of such.  I know I could also do a portal for this but I'm comparing to how it's done from a browser version which has that flexibility for that at least.

• 8. Re: use another layout within a frame?
                        philmodjunk

My method of using a script to populate a field as opposed to having a calculated field is due to my having multiple persons to a case where I may need to display all names and addresses of such.  I know I could also do a portal for this...

This statement suggests that a portal can be used for what you want and sounds like a much simpler option than using a calculation field.

If you use FileMaker help, you'll find that there are a number of textformatting functions that can apply styles and colors to text. If you separate diffrent items with the tab character, you can then set tab stops on your field to arrange the data into columns.

A sample expression:

Proper ( Field1 ) & Char ( 9 ) & TextStyleAdd( Field2 ; Bold + Underline )

Char (9 ) returns the tab character.