3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 4:19 PM by philmodjunk

Use Excel Spreadsheet For Find Criteria

Zyxian

Title

Use Excel Spreadsheet For Find Criteria

Howdy.

I have a list of 576 people in an Excel spreadsheet that I need to create mailling labels for.

Is there a way to have Filemaker Pro 10 look at the spreadsheet for the find criteria?

Thank you for you help.

Zyxian

• 1. Re: Use Excel Spreadsheet For Find Criteria
          philmodjunk

Simplest might be to import your spreadsheet into a FileMaker file and then use that table of data to set up the criteria for your finds. What kind of find do you need here, a loop that finds recors for each person one at time to pull the address info for all these people up in one found set? Is it just names that are entered into this spread sheet?

• 2. Re: Use Excel Spreadsheet For Find Criteria
            Zyxian

Thank you Phil.

Yes, it is just a list of names.  Will you post a link to instructions on how to do as you suggest?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Use Excel Spreadsheet For Find Criteria
              philmodjunk

Yes, but what kind of find are you trying to set up?

Assuming that this is a case where you want to use this list to look up the mailing addresses for all the people listed in spreadsheet and then print mailing labels...

I'd have this relationship:

Addresses::FullNameField = ImportTable::FullNameField

Then, instead of performing a find, I'd use a script or button with this step:

Go To Related Record [Show only related records; match found set; From table: Addresses; Using layout: "Address Labels" (Addresses)]

You'd click the button for this on the ImportTable layout immediately after importing.

Note: given the possible issues with data entry errors, alternate spellings for names, duplicate names, I'd put some effort into as much checking as I can between the imported data and the address records before printing address labels.