Thank you for posting.
What you are attempting should be possible. There is a knowledge base article with a step-by-step and sample file:
From this sample file, I modified the 'Go To Tab A' script to use a global variable:
Set Variable [$$tab_name; Value:"Tab A"]
Go to Object [Object Name: $$tab_name]
As long as the global variable is properly set, it should go to the tab.
TSuki: Thanks for your reply.
After reading your post - and verifying that I was doing it exactly right - I found the culprit.
It was a printing script that went to Preview mode prior to printing, and it was still in Preview mode when I was attempting to go to the tab object. As soon as I added an "enter Browse mode" script step, it worked fine.
I have the same problem and I believe the culprit is the variable. When I replace $$tab_name with an actual object name it works, but when I try to use the variable (or a global field ... tried that too), it doesn't. It seems to me like a type casting problem. I'm currently naming my tabs by number 1-4 since that is what the get(trigger..) function returns. However, it doesnt matter if I hardcode "2" or 2, the function works. Any clues would be helpful.