11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2010 1:15 PM by TSRaven

Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing

tk25

Title

Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing

I am working with FileMaker Pro 11 and I am trying to figure out why buttons (links) don't work when publishing/sharing to the web. In particular, I created to different databases. In one of the databases, I have it set up where if you click on the picture of an item it takes you to the related record for the item in the other database. When I click on the item in the database when it is published on the web, however, it does not direct me to the related field in the other database as it does in desktop access. I need help in deciphering why this may be. - I am operating on Windown XP - Service Pack 3

• 1. Re: Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing
          Mystick

be sure that all your files have IWP turned on and access  to all users...

• 2. Re: Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing
            tk25

To make sure that I am carrying out all the steps correctly, I went to File ---> Sharing ----> Instant Web Publishing and tjem ensure that the Instant Web Publishing was on for each database  and that All Users was selected. I still didn't see a change when publishing to the web. Is there something else that I may be overlooking, perhaps there is something other option that must be selected or incorporated when doing the button setups.

• 3. Re: Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing
              Mystick

You can make sure that your link to the external data sources are done with the full server path and not just File.fp7...

Should be like that :  fmnet:/full.server.address/File.fp7

• 4. Re: Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing
                tk25

How exactly would I go about in checking whether or not this is the case. For instance, I clicked on the button and then went to setup, but I saw nothing indicating these specs. Where do I need to go in FileMaker to ensure that the the path type you mentioned above is set correctly?

• 5. Re: Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing
                  Mystick

File > Manage > External data sources 

you will see the list of external files used by your application, double-click them and make sure that their "file path list"  is in the filemaker network format  fmnet:/hostIPAdress/filename

• 6. Re: Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing
                    tk25

Hmm... it still doesn't seem to be working... not sure what else it could be...

• 7. Re: Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing
                      mmccarty

A really silly question:  Do you know that the button is firing?  If not sure, are there any layout objects overlayed on the button?

Sound weird, but I spent a whole day trying to figure out what was wrong with my relationships and scripts when a button didn't work in IWP.  Turned out the button was never firing because I had put a rectangle around it.  Buttons don't work in IWP if they are overlayed with other objects.

Thought I would throw that out there just in case.

Another silly question:  Are you sure the account you are logged in with has access to the related records?

• 8. Re: Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing
                        tk25

Ok I tried both scenarios. There seems to be an issue with the access privileges. When I  ensured that there were active guest accounts for each database, I logged in as a guest into either database on the web, and the buttons/links seemed to work fine with overlaying included. The task now is to figure out how to get the buttons working with true logins.

• 9. Re: Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing

tk25:

It looks like you're on the right track now. After reviewing the thread and the behavior you described, I would start with the following suggestion.

In FileMaker Pro 11 navigate to File>Manage...>Security to bring up the accounts and privileges management window as you did previously. Select the Privilege Set tab at the top and select the privilege set that the account for your database is using. Click on Edit.. at the bottom to view the configuration of the privilege set. Verify in the lower left corner of this window that the extended privilege is enabled for Access via Instant Web Publishing. If not, enable it and save your changes. Do this for both databases. You should then be able to access them both as you did with the guest account.

The other scenario I can think of doesn't sound like it fits your description, but since you'll be looking at accounts anyway verify the account you are using in the first database is defined the same way in your second file - i.e. with the same access level, username and password. As the guest account is predefined it would be the same between both unless modified, but having incongruous logins could cause the web access to fail in the second file. This usually exhibits different behavior, however, so as stated I don't think this is the cause of the issue.

Please keep me posted with your progress or anything you need clarification on.

TSRaven,
                          FileMaker Inc.

• 10. Re: Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing
                            tk25

Ensuring that the account access information (username, password, etc) for each database is the same seemed to fix the problem!

Thanks so much!

• 11. Re: Use of Buttons/Links in Instant Web Publishing

tk25:

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear everything is up and running now.

If you need further assistance feel free to post any time.

TSRaven,

FileMaker Inc.