AnsweredAssumed Answered

Use of value list greatly slowing portals and layouts

Question asked by PaulSt on Dec 6, 2010
Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 by PaulSt

Title

Use of value list greatly slowing portals and layouts

My Setup:

Orders layout based on Orders table.

Portal on orders layout based on OrderLines table.

OrderLines table stores fields: OrderLineID, ItemID, Price.

Item table stores fields: ItemID, ItemName.

If each orderline in the portal displays only the OrderLineID and the ItemID (both fields in the orderlines table). This works well and is fast. Since I want to display the ItemName instead of the ItemID, I am using a pop-up menu style control with a value list based on the Item table. The value list is set to use values from the Item table with ItemID as the first field and also display values from a second field, but only show values from the second field. This way, the portal shows the OrderLineID and the ItemName, which is what I want. However, this slows portal scrolling greatly. It also slows the Orders layout when browsing through order records. There is about a 1 sec delay in scrolling in the portal and about a 2 second delay when browsing through order records. All of the fields involved are indexed. This seems like too much of a slowdown to be acceptable.

I am using FM11 Pro Advanced. So...

1. Is this kind of slowdown typical? It seems to me that this would be a very common use of value lists.

2. Is the slowdown due to indexing of fields? Should I NOT index certain fields?

3. Are there faster ways to do the same thing?

Thanks!

Paul

Outcomes