1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 26, 2012 9:17 AM by philmodjunk

Use one Layout to Populate another

johnw54

Title

Use one Layout to Populate another

This is above my skill set but I thought I'd give it a try.  I have a thumbnail layout that shows many images.  Client can select the "Order" field if they would like to order the item.  I would like to be able to click a button and have the all of the items selected by the cllient automatically show up on it's own line item on my order form layout.  Do you have any suggestions that will help me get started.

• 1. Re: Use one Layout to Populate another
          philmodjunk

What tables and relationship do you have in place? Do you have these (but perhaps with different names):

Client------<Orders------<LineItems>---------Products

Client::__pkClientID = Orders::_fkClientID
               Orders::__pkOrderID = LineItems::_fkOrderID
               Products::__pkProductId = LineItems::_fkProductID

See: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained if my notation is unfamiliar.

If so, you could use a layout based on Products to generate records in LineItems for the current Record on an Orders layout. This will take some scripting and a global variable or two to pull it all together. Conditional firmatting can even be used to produce a 'check list' effect to show which products have already been selected for the order.