1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 10, 2009 5:57 AM by mrvodka

Use portal in portal?

kirvis

Title

Use portal in portal?

Hi all,

I have a question about the possibility of using a portal in a portal. I have a system that you can compare to the following.

Tables:

• customers
      • orders
      • order line items
      • products

What I would like to do is display and edit data from the first three tables on one layout. To give an example I have included a screenshot of what I would like to have on my layout:

portal in portal 

In the top of the layout I would like to be able to create a new customer with all the details. After that, I would like to have the possibility to create multiple new orders for this customer, without having to switch to another layout. I tried this by creating a portal in a portal. The first portal, which shows records from the orders table has one line. The second portal, which I placed in the first portal, has twelve lines where I can select products. This portal displays records from the order_line_items table.

Unfortunately this all did not work. Hitting the button "new customer" has exactly the same effect as hitting "new order", even though the first button is on the layout customers and the second button is in the portal for orders.

I guess that the essence of what I need is that I want two portals on my layout, which display only related data from the customer point of view.

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Use portal in portal?
          mrvodka

You can not have nested portal. However, it seems as though your interface should be based off the orders table and not the customers. Otherwise, what order would you expect displayed when there are multiple ones?

If the customer doesnt exist and you want to create a new one, you can have a button that runs a script that adds to the customer table, grab that new CustomerID, and then populate the Order record with the new customerID.