5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 1:59 PM by philmodjunk

User Accounts Shared Across Multiple Files

Modulo

Title

User Accounts Shared Across Multiple Files

Hello,

I've got a FMP11 database with a User Interface file that uses layouts to display data, which is read from and written to separate "Data" Filemaker files. Currently the UI file is password protected with multiple user accounts (and the ability for administrators to add/delete users and such). The fatal flaw with this system is that anyone could just go to the data files and open them up no problem. Is there a way for all of the files to share those user accounts, or inherit them from the UI file? By extension, would it also be possible to store all of these accounts in another "Preferences" Filemaker file that the UI and Data files then can read?

• 1. Re: User Accounts Shared Across Multiple Files
          philmodjunk

How are the files hosted? Filemaker Pro or filemaker server? If server, you can use external server authentication. This is documented in filemaker help. See: Creating accounts that authenticate via an external server

You can also protect each of your separate files by defining each with matching account names and passwords. Then they are protected, but the user will not be asked for a password when they are opened by filemaker as filemaker attempts to open each such file with the account name and password the current file was opened with. Of course, this complicates the process of adding/changing accounts and passwords as matching accounts and passwords must be maintained in each file...

• 2. Re: User Accounts Shared Across Multiple Files
            Modulo

The files are with Filemaker Pro, not server. I am hoping to make a runtime solution at some point soon.

How could I accomplish the adding/changing of accounts and passwords across files? Some kind of script?

• 3. Re: User Accounts Shared Across Multiple Files
              philmodjunk

There are script steps you can use for this. You'll find them listed under "Accounts" in the script editor. You have to set up a special layout where the information is entered into (usually) global text fields which a script can then use to create/change accounts in the current file and other files.

I realize there are tradeoffs either way, but another option to simplify this would be to merge your files so that you do not have to maintain matching account/password entries in each file.

• 4. Re: User Accounts Shared Across Multiple Files
                Modulo

Thanks Phil. I think I'll try to set up some scripts. Possibly a dumb question, but how do I point these script steps at a separate file?

• 5. Re: User Accounts Shared Across Multiple Files
                  philmodjunk

Perform Script has an option for "Add FileMaker Data Source" in the top drop down that appears after you click Specify... You can use this to select a script in another file to be run. You can pass information to this script in a script parameter. If you have multiple items to send to it, you can put them in a list ( List ( table::gAccountName ; Table::gPassword ) ) and use GetValue ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) ; 1 // or 2 or 3... ) to extract these at the other end.