5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2009 10:42 AM by KIDO

User authentification required to modify field....

glosandy

Title

User authentification required to modify field....

Hello,

I want to be able to modify an specific, existing field, but will require user name & password to do so... can this be done? Or can you restrict modification of a field to a specific user?

Thanks

Andrew 

• 1. Re: User authentification required to modify field....
          Jade

glosandy wrote:

…Or can you restrict modification of a field to a specific user? 

I think this is the easiest way.
          Edit the field's options (File>Manage>Database…). In the Validation tab:
          • uncheck the box 'Allow user to override during data entry'.
          • check the box 'Validated by calculation' and specify: Get(AccountName) = "yourAccountName"  (N.B.: use your special user name instead) 
          • check the box 'Display custom message if validation fails' and enter your error message below.

HTH… 

Or you can use the method described by Mr_Vodka below which I think is preferable…

• 2. Re: User authentification required to modify field....
            mrvodka

It really depend on how secure you want it, but the proper way of handling this is to Use two different Privilege sets. One priv set will allow the users to access the field. The other should have field level access denied for that particular field.

You can create field level access by while editing your privilege set --> Records --> Custom Privileges --> Field Level Access --> Limit

• 3. Re: User authentification required to modify field....
              KIDO
                 <!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:WordDocument&gt;   &lt;w:View&gt;Normal&lt;/w:View&gt;   &lt;w:Zoom&gt;0&lt;/w:Zoom&gt;   &lt;w:PunctuationKerning/&gt;   &lt;w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/&gt;   &lt;w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;false&lt;/w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;   &lt;w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;false&lt;/w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;   &lt;w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;false&lt;/w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;   &lt;w:Compatibility&gt;    &lt;w:BreakWrappedTables/&gt;    &lt;w:SnapToGridInCell/&gt;    &lt;w:WrapTextWithPunct/&gt;    &lt;w:UseAsianBreakRules/&gt;    &lt;w:DontGrowAutofit/&gt;   &lt;/w:Compatibility&gt;   &lt;w:BrowserLevel&gt;MicrosoftInternetExplorer4&lt;/w:BrowserLevel&gt; &lt;/w:WordDocument&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=&quot;false&quot; LatentStyleCount=&quot;156&quot;&gt; &lt;/w:LatentStyles&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      margin:0cm;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1      {size:595.3pt 841.9pt;      margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;      mso-header-margin:35.4pt;      mso-footer-margin:35.4pt;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;}   --><!--  [if gte mso 10]&gt; &lt;style&gt; /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:&quot;Table Normal&quot;;      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0cm;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;} &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  -->

Hi

You must be new to FM and I dare to step by step explain mr_vodka's suggestion.

If you are the Administrator and want to restrict access from one or few users to specific fields or tables, you will need to setup privileges to that particular user. Here is how to do it. For simplicity I’ll create a new account, you can just change the user account.

Go to Menu – File – Manage – Accounts & Privileges

Click New.  In Account name type in JOSHUA and in Password – joshua99

Check the box “User must change password on next login”.

In the Privilege Drop=down box select the last one – New Privilege Set….

A pop-up window will come up. Name you privilege set, ex: - Joshua

In the Data Access and Design select Records drop-down box and choose  “Custom privileges…”

Another pop-up window will show your tables. Select the desirable table and set table privileges at the bottom of the pop-up window.

In the Field Access drop-down box select  “limited…” – you’ll be able to see all field names for the selected table. Select the field and choose  the View only radio button in the bottom of the window.

Don’t forget to set the other privileges in the Data Access and Design – for Layouts, Value Lists and scripts.

Now, when Joshua (or anybody else using same privilege set) logs in, he will have restricted access as defined in the privilege set.

It might be a bit laborious, but once done you can use the privilege set with other users’ Accounts.

I hope this helps you

Regards

• 4. Re: User authentification required to modify field....
                glosandy

Thank you all for your responses!! 

I can see uses for both suggestions, I really appreciate your help!

Kido, whilst not new to FM, I am now starting to develop more complex databases. Your explanation was most useful, thanks!

Andrew 

• 5. Re: User authentification required to modify field....
                  KIDO
                     Thank you, glosandy.