1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 12, 2013 6:20 AM by philmodjunk

user created table

DarrenCampan

Title

user created table

Is it possible to create the fields of a table from user defined values?

I am trying to develop a database solution for creating a microphone plot for a theatre/musical show, I will create a new file for every show as they differ too much to be 1 database.

I have a table that has a 'character' field and then i want the other fields to be the Act/Scene number i.e. 'A1S1, A1S2, A1S3......A2S1, A2S2.... ect. This I intend on showing as a list allowing quick editing of which character is in which scene.

My question is as each play or show has a different number of Acts & Scenes is there a way for the user to define the amount of fields and their name for the table without having to edit the table directly? Maybe by creating a list or selecting the amount in a field? Or am i going about this in the wrong way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren 

• 1. Re: user created table
          philmodjunk

It appears that you are using fields where you should be thinking in terms of records. Records can readily be created in browse mode and as needed by a user. Fields and tables cannot be.

Example:

I have a table that has a 'character' field and then i want the other fields to be the Act/Scene number i.e. 'A1S1, A1S2, A1S3......A2S1, A2S2.... ect. This I intend on showing as a list allowing quick editing of which character is in which scene.

These should be values all entered into the same field but in different records of the same table. You can even use two fields, one for the Act and one for the scene identifier. And such a table can be used in quite a few different ways for producing a list that permits Identifying which character is in a given scene.

I will create a new file for every show as they differ too much to be 1 database.

With a good solid relational design, I doubt that this will be the case.