2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 2:17 PM by mgores

User Homepage

MikeEdwards

Title

User Homepage

I wanted to direct my users to the own individual homepage (layout) when they sign in. I thought that this could be acomplished through access privledges but it doesn't seem to be the case.  Is there a better way to go here?

• 1. Re: User Homepage
          philmodjunk

How will each user's home page differ from another?

I once saw a FileMaker DB where the in house developer created a new custom layout each time a new user was added. That was great job security for him but not a very good design. Don't know if that was the reason, but when I returned to that company several years later, the IT department wouldn't allow people to even mention the name "filemaker" when discussing possible software to use.

What I suggested to the in house developer then, I'll repeat here: It's possible to identify the user when the file opens, take them all to the same layout, but then change what is displayed on that one layout to display only the data required by that one user.

Here's how you'd do it. You can use File Options to set a script to run each time the file is opened. This script can use get ( accountname ) to identify who just opened the file. You can then use this account name to perform a find to pull up only the records needed by that one user. This requires some kind of system where you keep track of what records belong to a given account name or list of account names and there are a number of approaches you can use for that. The simplest is to set up a text field that auto enters the accountName when the record is first created.

Manage | Security can be helpful in this process by denying access to records for which the user does not have permission to view or edit. If this is something you need, See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.

• 2. Re: User Homepage
            mgores

a script that is set to run when the database with a

If Get (username) = "Bob Jones"

Go To Layout ["Bob Jones' Layout"]

end If

and so on for each user would work.

of you could use the case function if there are few enough users.

You could use a variable if you were to name the layouts the exact same as the user names.

Set Variable $$name = "username"

Go to Layout ["$$name]