4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 6:40 AM by philmodjunk

User Input

KimFritzbøger

Title

User Input

Hi

I'm trying to get user input but it seems impossible

I want to make a button that opens a dialogbox asking the user for a date (this date isn't related to a field so the value goes into a variable)

When the user admits a date i can use the variable to filter a layout.

Is that possible without extensive complicated scripting

Kim

• 1. Re: User Input
          philmodjunk

Yes, but all data entry from a user must be entered into a field, not a variable. If you want to put it in a variable, use set variable to copy the value of the field into the variable. You can define a field with global storage for this purpose if you want.

Show Custom Dialog ["Please enter a date" ] --->Specify Globals::gDate as the input fields
               Set Variable [$YourVariable ; value: Globals::gDate ]

• 2. Re: User Input
            KimFritzbøger

Okay - I have to create a table with fields just to accomodate the input from users

Not very smooth

And why is there only 3 answer options in a dialogbox that should be dynamic

But anyway - thanks for quick answer :-)

Kim

• 3. Re: User Input
              symbister

You can always set up a 'data entry' layout with more than three fields, script it to open for users to input search criteria for example

• 4. Re: User Input
                philmodjunk

Once your needs move beyond the simplistic options of Show Custom Dialog, you use New Window or a Popover  instead. Then your dialog is based on a layout you design for that window/popover frame and it can have any features that you choose to build into it--value lists, script triggers, and as many buttons as you need.