3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 5:41 AM by tomo17

user login records

tomo17

Title

user login records

i have a database that we are testing with the plan to have accessible through FM server.  I have been trying to figure out a way to create a log of who and when users access the file.  I know that i can have a field that logs the user name that modified  a record but what is the best way to create a summary report of user access.

I am after two types of information on possibly two layouts

Layout 1 - a list of all user logins

user x 21/5/12 09.15

user y 20/5/12 15.15

user x 19/5/12  13.15

user z 19/5/12  13.10

Layout 2 - a list of the users and their last login

user x 21/5/12 09.15

user y 20/5/12 15.15

user z 19/5/12 13.10

user a - no login

Many thanks for any suggestions

• 1. Re: user login records
          philmodjunk

You'll need a table where a new record is created each time some one opens the file. You can use Field Options to specify that the following script be run each time the file opens:

Freeze Window
               Go to Layout [ UserAccessLog (UserAccessLog)]
               New Record/Request
               Go To Layout [//select the layout you want them to see on startup here]

The UserAccessLog can have just two fields, AccountName, set to auto-enter the current user's account name and AccessTimeStamp, set to auto-enter the creation time stamp. (A timestamp will record both date and time in the same field). Of course a third field can be included if needed to record the user's full name if their account name is not sufficient identification.

A simple list view layout can list all access activity logged for your database and you can sort it by account name to group the records by user.

If you take a list view layout and remove the body layout part, replacing it with a sub summary layout part "when sorted by AccountName", you can then put AccountName or the user's name field in this part to get a listing where each user is listed only once. If you add a summary field that computes the maximum of the AccessTimeStamp field and put it in the sub summary layout part, you'll get a list of each user and their most recent access time stamp.

• 2. Re: user login records
            tomo17

Thanks Phil - I will try that tonight and see how I go.

• 3. Re: user login records
              tomo17
               Perfect - worked a treat!! Thanks