5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 10:28 AM by Markus Schneider

User no longer responding, connection closed (121)

Steve3

Title

User no longer responding, connection closed (121)

Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue with Filemaker. First of all, here's a little background information:

- Number of users: between 10 and 20

- Filemaker Server version: v5

- Filemaker Client version: Pro v6

- Operating systems of computers that are having the issues: Windows 7 SP1 and Windows XP SP3

- Operating system of FileMaker Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 (virtualized with Hyper-V) with 6GB Ram

The issue: random people are being disconnected while working.

The people are seeing this message "communication with the host was interrupted and could not be re-established (-20)" and this closes FileMaker.

In the eventviewer on the filemaker server, i see the following errors: User "XX" no longer responding, connection closed (121) 

This doesn't happen when the computer is idle, this happens when he's working on it, (like trying to send an e-mail from filemaker). 

I've disabled sleep modus on the computers so that's not it. 

Filemaker Server Console is running permanently on the server with Filemaker client open on the server also. 

An external person needs to connect to this server so Teamviewer is installed.

If anyone has a solution or could point me in the right direction, I would be most greatfull. 

Steve

• 1. Re: User no longer responding, connection closed (121)
          Steve3

bump. I've read multiple testimonies of people having the same issue but haven't found a solution yet. Any ideas?

• 2. Re: User no longer responding, connection closed (121)
            Markus Schneider

could be outside of FileMaker - a network issue. FileMaker is very critical to hickups... therefore You might check the network

- those issues... are they new (i.e. after a server update, whtever)?

it's not easy - the FileMaker versions are very old and unsupported

we have had similar issues under Win XP and I got the gut feeling that a tcp/ip timeout was the reason. We were running Sun's (virtualisation). On another site, we once had issues like that caused by a faulty power supply of a switch (all under FM 6, Server 5.5)

hth,

markus

• 3. Re: User no longer responding, connection closed (121)
              Steve3

The complaints are kind of recent. We've upgraded the server infrastructure of this client in September. 

They had the following:

FM Server installed in Windows Server 2003, which was installed in VMWare Workstation running in another Windows Server 2003

Now they have: 

FM Server installed in Windows Server 2008 R2, which is installed in Hyper-V running on another Windows Server 2008 R2

Switches stayed the same

It's very hard to diagnose a network issue that only affects one program with random people and they are getting more and more frustrated. 

• 4. Re: User no longer responding, connection closed (121)
                philmodjunk

You are using a very old verision of FileMaker and those machines with Windows 7 and your server OS are much newer than your copies of FileMaker Pro and Server.

Frankly, I'm amazed that you can Get FileMaker 6 to run at all on a Windows 7 box.

I don't know this for sure, but you be encountering system incompatibilities between this very old version and the newer OS systems.

Whether this is the issue or not, I strongly suggest that you work on a plan for replacing your FileMaker 5 system with the latest version of FileMaker. It will take some time and effort to make the conversion and you don't want to put this off until you reach a point where you can't run FileMaker 6 or (server 5) at all on a new system and then have to rush the conversion process to get back up and running.

• 5. Re: User no longer responding, connection closed (121)
                  Markus Schneider

well... FileMaker 5.5/6 are running quite well under Win 7 - and if I get it right, XP clients are affected as well (FM 6 runs under XP without problems). Maybe You could do a 'ping' and checking for the response-time. If the time is 'oscilating', then it could problematic. The part where I'm unsure is the server.. no idea how FM server runs under  the newer OS. I still prefer srv 2003 for FM.. (even FM 11)

Anyway - Phil is right: It IS time to go for the current version of FM..

(-: