3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 9:25 AM by philmodjunk

User of old version Filemaker (2.1) and needing to upgrade for MacBook Pro

Karen-KittyCarroll

Title

User of old version Filemaker (2.1) and needing to upgrade for MacBook Pro

I have been using an older version of FileMaker (2.1) for over a decade.  I really like the program and need to finally move to a newer version.   I have a Macbook Pro (just bought this past summer).   I use the program for simple record keeping.  Expenses (my own categories for monitoring cost, such as Diesel vs. gasoline usage, categories for house, outbuilding upkeep) and record keeping for my w w w birds of prey (dot net) programs done during the year for US Fish and Wildlife Service annual reports.

I have Microsoft Office on my MacBook Pro (need Word for contracting) and Excell,  I have never set up an Excell database and really want to stay with FileMaker.  I just like it better.  

Help is needed to get this finally done.  

Kitty%3AAnubisClarkFarm.jpg

• 1. Re: User of old version Filemaker (2.1) and needing to upgrade for MacBook Pro
          philmodjunk

Excel isn't a database program, it's a spreadsheet and that's a significantly different type of application.

There are a number of hurdles to cross here to get your database up and running.

FileMaker 2.1 is even older than the first version I used decades ago (2.5). It's a flat file database. Not only is there only one table to each file, but there is no ability to define relationships between tables or files--repeating field and data lookups were your only options and scripting was very, very basic.

FileMaker 13, on the other hand, is a relational database system, supports multiple tables in a single file and has many more features not even dreamed of in FileMaker 2.1. Be prepared to invest some time learning about all the new features. Much of the system won't even look the same.

It is possible to convert your file to a .FP6 format, then to .FP7 (fileMaker versions 7-11 used this file format) and from .FP7 to .FMP12--the file format used by FileMaker 13. Given the simplicity of FileMaker 2.1, it might actually convert more smoothly than some newer file formats, but you'll have to carefully test your converted files and see.

You may find it simpler to use Export Records to export the data into a tab file and then import that tab file using Import Records | File with the New Table option to pull your data and data into a file without attempting to also reproduce the layouts. You'd then have to recreate the layouts from scratch though so you'll have to decide and you may want to try both approaches.

First, you'll need a trial copy of FileMaker 6 to convert the file to .FP6 file format. There's a download link for that version in the KnowledgeBase article listed at the end of this message.

Then, you use FileMaker 11 to convert to .fp7 format, before you use Filemaker 13 to convert to .fmp12 format.

Here's a download link for a 30 day free trial copy of Filemaker 11 you can use for the first step of the conversion:

http://info.filemaker.com/Us_en_FileMaker_Pro_11_Trial.html

I also recommend that you read these two Knowledge Base articles on converting your files:

Converting to .fp7 format: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/750/kw/converting

Converting to .fmp12 format: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10571/kw/converting

Be prepared to invest some time into testing and updating the converted files as there is a good chance that your converted files may not function perfectly. The KB articles cover many, but not all of the possible issues. Feel free to post back here with any issues you encounter that don't seem to have been covered by the KB articles.

• 2. Re: User of old version Filemaker (2.1) and needing to upgrade for MacBook Pro
            TKnTexas

Filemaker Pro 6 used *.fp5 file extension.  

Filemaker 2 used *.fm

Filemaker 3 and 4 used *.fm3

Filemaker 5 and 6 used *.fm5

Filemaker 7 - 11 used *.fm7

Just so Karen does not think something is wrong when she get FP5