1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 8:29 AM by TSGal

User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another

arseeber

Title

User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another

I have a user on Filemaker Pro 8 accessing a database that is on a remote server setup with Filemaker Server Advanced 9.  The account is authenticated within the filemaker database the user is accessing (not an external auth server).  When accessing the database from his home pc he can access the database just fine and make whatever changes, additions necessary.  When he logs in from his pc desktop at work, it logs in fine, but he cannot click in fields to enter data (for example, in search mode to find a particular record, etc.).  I have tried installing whatever updates were available, uninstalling and reinstalling (both using the windows control panel add/remove software and the uninstaller provided on the cd) and still the same problem.  I'm guessing there's either a preference setting that got changed on one machine and not on the other or a preference file that got corrupted?  Are there files that do not get removed in the uninstall process?  It seemed the main prefs file was removed since upon reinstall, the non-standard username setup through preferences disappeared and had to be re-entered.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

• 1. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
          mwc_1

sounds like the work PC is set to auto login with a different priv set that the home account?

ctrl-open the database on a MAC (option?-open on a PC) to force the authentication dialog, see if he's entering the same id/pass at home and work?

• 2. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
            arseeber
               Unfortunately, no.  The autologin is turned off and he's logging in the same way from both machines.  As an additional note, logging in as a different full access user from that machine generates the same result: no ability to enter data in fields, though the account works as expected on other machines :(
            • 3. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
              Jens Teich
                 Do both machines share the same file via network or do they both have a copy? It the latter case it seems like one file is write protected.

Jens
              • 4. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
                arseeber
                   Both sharing the same file over the network from the same server.
                • 5. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
                  TSGal

arseeber:

Thank you for your post.

Have you figured this out yet?  If not, send me a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with the IP Address, the file and full access password, and I'll log in from here and try and determine the problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
                    arseeber
                       Update:  I decided to try installing a newer version of Filemaker to see if it would overwrite whatever setting, so I installed Pro 9 on the user's machine.  The bad news is it exhibits the same behavior.  The good news is I noticed something I hadn't before.  If the user clicks on find, then clicks in a field to enter data, you can't see the cursor and if you type, nothing shows up.  But if you tab to the next field after typing, whatever you were typing then appears.  This happens no matter which full access account is logged in on that machine and no matter which database (there are 3) is open.  So it's clearly some sort of global setting and it's almost as if the text color is set to white when highlighted or there are overlapping fields or something.  I can't find any reference to text color in the global Preferences settings (so it would affect all databases) and the menu items for changing text color or font within the database are greyed out, so they can't be set?  Hope this sparks any ideas.
                    • 7. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
                      TSGal

arseeber:

Thank you for the additional information.

Go into layout mode, select all fields, pull down the Format menu and select "Text Color".  Click on the black box to set the default text for those fields.

To now set the default, deselect all fields, pull down Format menu and set the Text Color to black.

Now, go into Browse mode, put your cursor in the field and start typing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
                        arseeber

Well, that didn't work and now I have a second machine having the same problem.  The good news is, it's an easier machine for me to access and test with.  The reason I think that didn't work is that those settings would be specific to whatever database the user was logged into, whereas what seems to be the problem with both machines is that it is not specific to a database, the problem affects any database accessed from that machine.  So there must be a global FileMaker setting somewhere that somehow corrupted itself or got triggered in some odd way like with old word processing programs and the "insert" key.  Whatever the setting is, it doesn't get resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling the software.  Perhaps there's a registry key that does not get deleted when uninstalling so it just picks it back up?  Or is there any other software that might conflict?

Thanks,

Andie 

• 9. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
                          TSGal

arseeber:

It was obvious that FileMaker Pro worked on all machines except the one (now two).  Since it is common for the software people to point fingers at the hardware people (and vice versa), I wanted to try all possibilities with FileMaker Pro first.  That is the reason for the uninstalling and reinstalling, resetting the field text to black, etc.

Let's try stripping your system to the basics.  Run "msconfig", click on Services, and check the option "Hide All Microsoft Services".  Disable all, close the window and reboot the machine.  Start FileMaker Pro and see if the problem persists.  This will check to see if there are any conflicts.

When looking in our Knowledge Base, I see there is a conflict with F-Secure, so be sure to disable that regardless.

Let's try msconfig first before progressing further.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
                            arseeber
                               I tried stopping all services excluding MS ones and it still had the same problem.  I did find though, that when I went to work on the users machine, it had been minimized to the task bar for an hour or so.  When I maximized it, the user had been logged out by a idle timer that I guess was set in that database.  I tried logging into a different database and the problem had disappeared.  Assuming it was not actually fixed, I closed out of the database and sure enough, next time it opened, the problem was back (easily discernible by there either being boxes for fields or no boxes).  I had the user minimize the window and leave it minimized while I was doing something else and about 20 minutes later when I returned and maximized it, there were boxes--problem gone.  I tried to replicate this and see what the time lag is and that's still up in the air.  The user tried it again and after 16 minutes, there were still no boxes when maximized.  Thinking it might be a temp file issue, I ran disk cleaner to remove temp files, then went into the users Documents and Settings-->Local Settings-->Temp and removed all files there.  Still no boxes.  I also tried logging into the computer as a different user to see if the problem is specific to the user account, but had the same problem logged in as a different user.
                            • 11. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
                              TSGal

arseeber:

Do you have another machine on the network that doesn't have FileMaker Pro loaded?  If so, find the CD from one of good installations and install it on that machine.  If that works, uninstall.  Then, install from the CD that isn't working and see if that works.  If it doesn't, then you have a bad CD, and that can be replaced.  If it works, then we've removed the CD from the equation.

On the machines that are working, is there any difference in the OS?  Or, the OS version?

Does this issue occur with all database files, or only with remote database files?

Any additional information may help narrow this down.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
                                arseeber

Found it, sort of.  The problem exists equally with databases hosted remotely and stored locally.  I have found a temporary solution that will hopefully lead to a more permanent one.  If the user opens the database and no boxes are visible, go to the control panel display settings and change the screen resolution.  The resolution in this case was at 1024x768, so I changed it to the 800x600 setting then clicked apply.  The boxes showed up.  The boxes stayed when I changed it back to 1024x768.  If the database, but not FileMaker is closed, the next database opened still has boxes, but as soon as you close out of FileMaker completely, upon reopening, the boxes are gone again.  Is there a registry key that maybe is causing this dysfunction?

Thanks,

Andie 

• 13. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
                                  arseeber
                                     Also note that changing the display from 32-bit to 16-bit color also bring the boxes back.
                                  • 14. Re: User with Full Access account cannot edit records from one machine, but can on another
                                    TSGal

arseeber:

Thanks for the additional information.  I have sent this entire thread to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for confirmation.  If I receive any additional information, I will post it here.  In the mean time, just be aware of this issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next