3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 12:47 PM by philmodjunk

users getting an error saying user is modifying in another window but there is only one window

StevenDurow

Title

users getting an error saying user is modifying in another window but there is only one window

We have just upgraded a very complex application from Filemaker 5 to Filemaker 12.  System consists of 1 Filemaker Server 12, 1 Advanced Filemaker Pro 12 and about 14 Filemaker 12 clients. 

Users are having an issue (there are many issues but for now...) with record locking. They edit a field, navigate to other records and/or DATABASES (not tables. If built today it would be all tables  in one database but not available in Filemaker 5). When they come back to the previously edited record they (and everyone else) get a message saying record is being modified by <username here> in another window. Again the application was built in 5 so the option of using multiple windows is not used throughout the application. It does not happen every time and we cannot reproduce it. I guess what I am asking for is ideas of what could possibly be causing the behavior. From experience and reading, the commit record is a major change from Filemaker 5. I am guessing it is the behavior of certain scripts causing the error but which one of the thousands of scripts...

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
           Steven Durow
           Systems Linked Consulting