5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 8:56 AM by comment_1

Uses of Tab Control Tool

Frinholp

Title

Uses of Tab Control Tool

From the text I have read regarding Tab Control Tool the only use for this tool that seems to be documented is for organising data concerning one particular record e.g. if all data will not fit on one screen in Form View. Is it feasible to use this tool to show various filtered results in Table View on different tabs with regards to records in one table, or should I be using different layouts with button controls to switch between each set of filtered results.

Any opinions appreciated

Lee

• 1. Re: Uses of Tab Control Tool
          comment_1

The tab control is a layout object - and a layout is associated with a specific table (more precisely, a table occurrence). At most, you can have portals to different related tables under different tabs.

• 2. Re: Uses of Tab Control Tool
            Frinholp

Thanks for the reply Comment.

So from what you say it 'is' feasible to use tabs to filter a TOC using tabs? For example a Product table which has a Category field, I could use different tabs to show products of different categories, say Electrical, Toys, Kitchenware etc - all this data is from one TOC. Or would I be better using a layout for each category?

Lee 

• 3. Re: Uses of Tab Control Tool
              comment_1

Sorry, I have somewhat misread your first post, and thought you were speaking of different tables.

Using different layouts is not going to solve anything; a layout does not filter its own records, other than by performing a find. At this point, it would be useful to know your version of the application.

• 4. Re: Uses of Tab Control Tool
                Frinholp

I am developing in Filemaker Pro Advanced 10 but the solution I am developing will be run within Filemaker Pro 11.

Thanks again

Lee

• 5. Re: Uses of Tab Control Tool
                  comment_1

I would use fake tabs (i.e. buttons) either way. You can place them in the header and make them perform a find for the clicked category. This would use a list or a table view.

Alternatively, you could use a portal in form view to another occurrence of the same table (i.e. a self-join), filtered by the selected category. The tabs would be fake here too - otherwise you'd need a separate relationship for each category.