3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2010 8:38 AM by braxton

Using "Find" for e-mails has issue with @

braxton

Title

Using "Find" for e-mails has issue with @

I'm using FM 9.0v3 on a Mac.

Just searched for an account via e-mail address and it said, "No record could be found."  However, the record is there.  I did some testing and even created an account with just an @ as an e-mail.  FM won't find it?  In fact, FM won't find any address because of the @.

What am I doing wrong or how can I work around this?  I was counting on the e-mail field being a unique feature to look up clients that e-mail me.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

• 1. Re: Using "Find" for e-mails has issue with @
          sunmoonstar.13

Try searching for "@" with the double quotes.

Nick

• 2. Re: Using "Find" for e-mails has issue with @
            LSI-FileMaker-Developer

I find the best way is to use a special-purpose script for finding email addresses.  It's too much to expect the average user to enclose their search requests with quote marks.

#Allows the user to not have to worry about the @ symbol in email addresses acting as a wild card in Finds 

Enter Find Mode [  ] 

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: Get(ScriptName); Message: "Paste the email address you want to find into the text box…"; Buttons: 

“Find”; Input #1: OWN—contacts::email ] 

If [ IsEmpty(OWN—contacts::email) ] 

#Cancel if nothing entered 

Enter Browse Mode 

Exit Script [  ] 

Else 

#Email address provided - put quotes around it so FileMaker can find it easily 

Set Field [ OWN—contacts::email; "\"" & OWN—contacts::email & "\"" ] 

Perform Find [  ] 

End If

• 3. Re: Using "Find" for e-mails has issue with @
              braxton

Thanks Nick and Matt!  I ended up doing the script and tying it to a button "Find Email".  I really appreciate your help.  That issue really threw me after designing the database for hours.