1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2009 3:06 PM by philmodjunk

Using "Go to Related Record" to Open Record in New Windows Doesn't Work

arobulack

Title

Using "Go to Related Record" to Open Record in New Windows Doesn't Work

I'm basically ripping off the Filemaker Business Productivity Solution database in an educational process as I work on a new database. I follow the structure in that database, but I get different results.

I am working within one table, "Invoices". I have created a layout "New Advertiser Invoice", which is to be used to input data, and a second layout "Print Format Invoices" which is to be used to print the invoices themselves.

I am using the "Go to Related Record" script step to open the currently-viewed record in a new window for preview and printing. I am using the "Show only related records > Match current record only" to try and ensure that the record that will be represented in the new window is the same that is being opened.

However, when I run the script, it always opens the first record in the found set, not the currently viewed record in the found set. It seems I'm duplicating the script in the BPS, but I can't get it to work the same.

Is there another variable at play that is throwing a wrench into the results I'm getting? 

• 1. Re: Using "Go to Related Record" to Open Record in New Windows Doesn't Work
          philmodjunk

You need a valid self join type of relationship for this to work. I don't use this kit, so am not familiar with the table/relationship design for this database system. When you open Manage | Database | relationships, you'd need two instances invoices linked by a unique key field (usually an auto-entered serial number). Then you can use GTRR in this fashion, specifying the name of the 2nd table instance.

All you really need is:

Go To Layout [Print Format Invoices]

Since both layouts refer to the same table, switching layouts should leave the same current record visible on both.