2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 5:07 AM by NathanVeitch

Using 2 different ValueLists for one Field

NathanVeitch

Title

Using 2 different ValueLists for one Field

Hi There,

I have a quick question to ask, well I think it is a quick question. Is it possible to have a feild display 2 different value lists? What I mean is, in my solution I have a field that when a certain value is set it calculates a table to get values to populate a dynamic value list. Now I need to find out if there is a way to display a static value list in the same feild should the other option be selected. 

So in a nutshell: 

If Field A is selected with option 1, then run script to sort table and get values to populate in ValueList A that is used in Field B. 

If Field A is selected with option 2, then Field B uses static ValueList B

I was thinking of duplicating the layout and then just switching between layouts depending on the value in Field A and then depending on the layout would depend on what ValueList is set for Field B. Would this be the easier option or is there a better way to do this?

• 1. Re: Using 2 different ValueLists for one Field
          DillipKumarMahapatra

Hi,

You can use your idea of switching layouts according to the value selected in Field A. But  Layout switching makes the process little bit slow although not noticable. Ohterwise you can do similar kind of things like below.

In the same layout, put one hidden tab having two tabs. In the inspector give names to both these tabs as like"tab1" and "tab2". Put Field B in tab1 with attaching valuelist A and Put Field B in tab2 with attaching valuelist B. Make the tab transparent and make it Fixed width of 0 So that user will never experience that there is sum tab is present.

Attach a script with OnSaveTrigger to Field A that

If

Field A will populate with option 1... do the process and Go To Object "tab1" 

else

Field A will populate with option 2... Go To Object "tab2"

EndIf

Please try this process and if you feel it is ok you can use this process otherwise you can use your idea.

Thanks

Dillip

• 2. Re: Using 2 different ValueLists for one Field
            NathanVeitch

Hi Dillip,

Thanx for the tips. Thankfully my DB is not that big so using the multiple layouts is not to much of a hassel. I will keep in mind what you have suggested though.

Thanx again for the tips :)