1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 11:42 AM by HenryMeadors

Using a button to add/subtract one from a field

HenryMeadors

Title

Using a button to add/subtract one from a field

Okay, so I'm trying to use FileMaker to create a form that users can load onto an iPad and enter data, so I'm trying to make it as simple for them to use as possible.

Some of the fields will require them to increase the total number by one as they're working (for example, they're gathering specimens, and then sorting them by species, and then counting how many members of each species they find), so I need a button they can press each time they find a member of Species X so that the number in the field next to it just goes up by one each time they press it (and I should probably also include a button to subtract by one in case they mess up).

I'm new to FileMaker and I can't seem to find the appropriate macro/script. It was easy in Excel - create a button, and in the macro, I used the script [ActiveCell.Value = ActiveCell.Value + 1] so that the button would increment the value of the selected cell by one each time you pressed it. The problem is using an excel sheet on the iPad (especially with macros and drop-down lists) isn't really practical and doesn't work as well as you'd think.

Ideas? I'd appreciate any help!