2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2009 10:44 AM by Mattpsmith001

Using a drop down menu to run Scripts

Mattpsmith001

Title

Using a drop down menu to run Scripts

I was wondering if it was possible to create a drop down list to run scripts rather than using a button. Basically what I would like to do is have categories for my scripts and based on the categories pull up a pop up menu to pick a script to run. For example, I would like one of my categories to be "new" and when I click on "New" it gives me a list with estimate, sales order, Invoice, Purchase order or work order. another category I would like to use is "Go To" and when clicked on it would bring a pop up menu with the layouts I have. This would be really convenient for me and save me a headache of having too many buttons. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Matt 

• 1. Re: Using a drop down menu to run Scripts
          philmodjunk

You can actually do this just with the Scripts menu by grouping your scripts in folders. I'm guessing you want this drop down to be visible on some layouts and not on others and you thus need a separate drop down listing your scripts.

If you are using filemaker 10, you can set up a script trigger that runs when you exit (drop down list) or modify (pop-up menu) a field.

Make your field a global text field and use Field/Control | Setup... to format it to use a value list that displays your list of script options.

Write a script that checks the contents of the global text field to determine which script should be performed.

Select the appropriate script trigger for your field and set it to perform the above script.

• 2. Re: Using a drop down menu to run Scripts
            Mattpsmith001

Thanks for the advice. You are correct about wanting specific scripts on specific layouts. This will give me something to play around with for a little while. Still pretty new to the whole filemaker thing. I will give it a shot and see if I can get it to do what I want. Thanks again for the advice and I will let you know if I can get it to work.

Matt