2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 12:36 PM by laneystewart

using a field to choose a value list

laneystewart

Title

using a field to choose a value list

OK, So i  have a database that has 2 parts to it.  I have an account code (2,3,5,6) and account number ( a five digit number) and an account subcode (a 4 digit number).  I want a specific value list to show when the account code is one thing and a specific value list to show when the account number is something else.  So, if the account code is 2, then it will use the account numbers for 2 accounts value list.  Any ideas??

Elayne

• 1. Re: using a field to choose a value list
          philmodjunk

If you can store your values in a table, you can do this easily as long as you get each detail correct.

Set up your AccountNumb table with at least two fields: AccountCode and AccNumb.

Create a relationship linking your Account code field in your main table to AccountNumb::AccountCode.

Define a value list that specifies AccountNumb::AccNumb as the source of values.

Click the "include only related values starting from" option and select the name of your main table from the drop down.

Load your new table with values.

Format your Account Number field to use this value list.

Now when you enter '2' as the account code, should should see just those values in the AccountNumb table that have "2" in the AccountCode field of that table.

• 2. Re: using a field to choose a value list
            laneystewart
               Works great!!! Thanks for the reminder about tables.....