5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 11:47 AM by philmodjunk

Using a part of Assets starter solution.

ChrisJohnston

Title

Using a part of Assets starter solution.

I have just recently used part of the Assets starter solution. The part I used with it is the picture module. I found this a great way to manage pictures in my own solution. What would be the process of taking the picture module and putting it in its own table? Would you then be able to get the picture to show up by just dropping it in a portal? I feel my question might be elementary and simply: Yes. Once you make the necessary related record changes, but I wanted some insight on what could be the pros or cons of having pictures in their own table. Thanks

• 1. Re: Using a part of Assets starter solution.
          philmodjunk

Starter Solution design varies with each version of FileMaker released. Which version are you using?

• 2. Re: Using a part of Assets starter solution.
            ChrisJohnston

Sorry, FileMaker 13 Advanced. Thanks

• 3. Re: Using a part of Assets starter solution.
              philmodjunk

Hmmm, well there really isn't a "picture module" in this solution. There's a set of container fields into which pictures can be inserted, but it's not in the form of a "module" for easy incorporation in a different FileMaker database solution.

You can try taking a copy and carefully deleting the fields and layout elements that you don't need with frequent testing and frequently saved backup copies to see if you can strip this down to just the parts that you need, but much depends on how much you understand about how FileMaker works as to whether you can do this successfully or not.

Once you've stripped the copy down to essentials that still do what you want, you can add in additional changes to customize this to better suit your needs--again, this is only practical if you have a decent knowledge of FileMaker.

Using FileMaker Advanced's Database Design Report to analyze changes made to the existing design might prove very helpful for such a project.

• 4. Re: Using a part of Assets starter solution.
                ChrisJohnston

Already worked it into my solution. Works great! It is what I wanted. I was probably overthinking it, wanting a separate table for pictures. Can’t see any way that would be helpful now. I will test with the portal when I have time. That could be helpful for another solution. My knowledge is quite decent, I let you know because it is all your great help that got me there. Thanks

• 5. Re: Using a part of Assets starter solution.
                  philmodjunk

If you need to record more than one picture per asset, then a related table makes sense as a more flexible way of linking 1, 2, 20 or more pictures to a single asset record if such is needed.