3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 2:09 PM by philmodjunk

using a portal as a pick list

laneystewart

Title

using a portal as a pick list

Hello all,

I am feeling like a big dummy right now but I have tried to work this out all day to no eval. I have a database that is for student getting credit from other colleges.  One main table for the student info and a table holding all the college info.  I want to use a portal to allow you to choose the college that will be attached to the record.  There will only be ONE college attached to each student record but the college can be used over and over again.  I know that the portal will work on a relationship and have tired to make that relationship with the StudentID (unique ID field for the student table).  I am asking that the StudentIDFK field on the college table look up the StudentID in the parent table to make an exact match, making the relationship work.  Not working..........  Once I get this relationship to work then I need to set up a way for someone to "search" the text of the college names to come up with a hit list.  I know that I will use a non-equijoin relationship but just can not make it work.... HELP!!!!!!!  I FEEL SOOOOO STUPID!!!!

• 1. Re: using a portal as a pick list
          TSGal

laneystewart:

Thank you for your post.

Since a student can attend more than one college, and since one college can have more than one student, you therefore have a "many-to-many" relationship.

Therefore, create a third table that includes the StudentID and the CollegeID.  This will allow you to link a class to a College and a Student.  At any time, you can see students attended what college, what students took the same class, what students received passing grades, etc.

Does this help?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: using a portal as a pick list
            laneystewart

ok, so I have the portal working, but how can I filter it??  my table of colleges is over 5000 records and I want them to be able to get to ones that may match by name or part of a name.  I have tried to follow directions on setting up a filter by adding a global match field and a match High and Match Low field calculated off the match field but i am not sure if it needs to be in it's own table or if it needs to be in the table with the college info or with the student info??? Thanks for all the help so far!!!!

• 3. Re: using a portal as a pick list
              philmodjunk

While this can be done, the design can get extremely complex and cumbersome. You may want to think outside your current box and consider a different approach for helping your users find their desired list of colleges.

For example:

1) set up a search page for the user to enter search criteria for the colleges they want. Find request can handle "partial matching issues much easier than relationships.

2) once the user has produced the list of records they want, they could click an "add" button. The script performed by that button would then process your found set of colleges to populate your portal and return them to the original layout.

My apologies for a very general solution description, but if you can work out the details, it may give you what you want.