AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using a repeating field as a key to a relation

Question asked by PieroF on Jan 19, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 19, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Using a repeating field as a key to a relation

Hi, I have a question about the use of repeating fields as a key for a relation.

Given a relation using a repeating field as a key (KeyA) in the source table (A), the evaluation of the contents of a second repeating field in A (NamesA - to be filled by the related field NameB in table B) seems to depend on the way NamesA is defined:

a. If NamesA is a calculation repeating fieldonly its first repetition is evaluated (all others are left empty)

b. If NamesA is a standard repeating field with calculated data entryall its repetitions are evaluated, but all equal to the first one

c. Only if NamesA is a standard repeating field with table lookup data entry all its repetitions are evaluated as expected, i.e. each gets the value from the related field NameB in table B, based on the corresponding repetition in KeyA.

My question is: is there a way to build calculation fields as in cases a. or b. in order to get the same results of case c. (lookup), which seems to me most consistent with the relation system in FMP ?

I have an example ready if necessary.

Thanks

Piero

Outcomes