12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 3:29 PM by philmodjunk

Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field

lbellino

Title

Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field

I'm importing an Excel document into my FMP database and in one of the fields, there will be an "N/A" for some of the records. Is there a way to keep the slash showing in the field? Currently in FMP, it shows it as just "NA". If I need to change the slash to a hypen to work, then I will. Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
          philmodjunk

Are you sure that this is a field of type text (as defined in Manage | Database | Fields ) and not of type number?

If imported as text, the slash should import as part of the imported text.

Are you importing directly from the excel file or are you exporting the data from excel to a text file and then importing from this text file into Filemaker?

(Trying to come up with a rationale that explains the missing slash here.)

• 2. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
            lbellino

Currently, it's set as a text field, which I changed from a date field because when I had it like that, it would show nothing. After I changed it to a text field, now it shows just the "na". I imported the record(s) directly from an Excel document where in the cell, it reads, n/a. Hopefully, that answers your question.

• 3. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
              philmodjunk

Do you see the slash when you click or tab into this field? (Could it be a format issue left over from when this was a date field?)

If so, try deleting the field from the layout and then put a new copy of the field on your layout to see if you get n/a.

If not, try this with a newly defined text field and see if you get the same result.

When I create a test file in Excel with n/a in a few cells, I can import from .xls into a filemaker text field and I get n/a to appear as expected in the field on my Windows XP system using FileMaker 11.

• 4. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
                lbellino

I did what you requested by deleting the field and creating it again and that didn't work. Actually, now the information that was showing previously with the na and the dates that I had for the other records are now not showing in the field and I've tried it as a text field first, then then the date field. How can I retrieve that information back. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
                  philmodjunk

How did you delete the field? How did you "create it again"?

Were these just changes to the layout or did you open Manage | Database | Fields?

Do you have a back up copy of your file? (You should always make and keep many back up copies of your files.)

• 6. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
                    lbellino

I deleted the field under Manager, Database, then recreated it.

• 7. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
                      lbellino

The DB file is on the Filemaker server. What's the best way to retrieve the back up off of the server?

• 8. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
                        philmodjunk

If you deleted the field in Manage | Database, then you can't retrieve the data. I suggested deleting the field from the layout and putting a new copy of it down to make sure that any residual data formatting wasn't an issue (since / can be a date delimitter in date fields ). I also suggested adding a totallly new text field to see if it might be a factor here.

Getting a file off your server is something I can't help you much with as it depends on your network, your access permissions and what schedules were established on the server for backing up your database. Your best bet is to consult with whoever set this up.

BTW, should you experience a network glitch while saving structural changes to your database, you can get a damaged file on the server--one reason why FileMaker Techs advise against making such changes on a file while it is hosted over the network. You can also lock users and the scripts they perform out of being able to update data to a table you are modifying--which can result in incorrect data being entered into your database.

• 9. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
                          lbellino

I'm working on getting the back up right now, which was backed up last night according to the server setup. I'm just curious as to why the data still doesn't show up, even though the info. was imported into the database file, especially when I kept it the same name, etc. Anyway, sorry I mis undertand your previous comment about removing the field...my bad!

• 10. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
                            philmodjunk

Try importing into a test file where you created just a few text fields in a single table. Try importing into this test file and see if you can get the n/a to appear.

• 11. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
                              lbellino

Yep, that worked. Hopefully that works when I get my back up file. Thanks for the help. Too bad I had to learn the hard way!

• 12. Re: Using a slash and/or hypen in a text field
                                philmodjunk

That indicates that there's something unusual with your file, but we haven't figured out what that might be. Take a copy of your file when you get it, define a new text field and try to import the column with the n/a data into this field and see if you get the correct results.