4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2011 2:54 AM by kevork

Using a table format within a text field: possible?

kevork

Title

Using a table format within a text field: possible?

There are times I would like to put the data in a text field in table format. This arises when I create flash cards in education. For example, a verb conjugation in a language database would have columns = singular/plural and rows = 1st 2nd 3rd person. At present I do this by judicious use of space but this does not give accurate alignment and gets lost if one makes a change. Is it possible to create tables within a text field?

One solution is to create to separate fields for 1st person singular , 2nd person etc and then display the conjugation in a form. But then I would need numerous forms for each verb mood and tense and that is before we get to nouns and adjectives etc., defeating the object of having handy single cards one can add to on the go.

I cannot be the only person with this problem, can I?

BTW, I am using FM 10 Pro

• 1. Re: Using a table format within a text field: possible?
          JamesRoland

Howdy,

I required the same functionality as well; the only way I was able to easily do so was to use a Container field and paste in a table from Excel. If there is a way to do so in a text field, even via a plugin, I would really love to know too :)

Cheers!
          Lyle

• 2. Re: Using a table format within a text field: possible?
            kevork

Thanks Lyle. I can see why you chose this solution and it would work if all records were similar. But for flashcards, some will be made of phrases which you want to type in direct, some will be lists, some will have whole sentences etc. But you have made me think......

Kev

• 3. Re: Using a table format within a text field: possible?
              philmodjunk

There are several options native to FileMaker you can try out. One option is to use the tab character instead of spaces. You can use Char ( 9 ) to insert this character. Then, using the tabs section of the Appearances tab in the Inspector, you can set tab stops for your field to align columns of data within your text field.

A simpler option might be to load this data into records of a related table. Then you can use a portal to the related records to get your columns of data. This limits you to a fixed height for each row and fixed column positions for every flashcard, but if you can work within those limitations, it's easier to set up than the above text field with tabs approach.

A final option is to use a web viewer and send the data to the web viewer embedded in HTML tags. This approach requires a good working knowledge of HTML, but it can allow you a great deal of flexibility as to what goes in your rows and columns and their relative heights/widths.

• 4. Re: Using a table format within a text field: possible?
                kevork

Thanks, PhilModJunk, for the options.

Looks like it won't have the flexibility I want without learning HTML.