1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 10:17 AM by philmodjunk

Using an existing layout on a new database

sierrawoman

Title

Using an existing layout on a new database

I'm using FileMaker Pro 7.0v3 on my MacBook.  I'm running on OSX 10.5.8.  I use FileMaker all day long, but just know as much as I need know to function effectively.

Question: 

I have two Filemaker Pro databases that are shared with my partner on a server.  Each has it's own set of layouts for contact information and invoicing.

I want to pull each database and its layouts off and work from my Mac rather than use the server. My partner has other plans. We would like to be able to cancel the server service completely.

I've been able to export all the fields except containers, and I can live with that if I have to.

The problem comes with trying to duplicate each layout.  The instructions for cutting and pasting don't seem to work for me.  Any ideas would be appreciated. I'd love to easly transfer each layout.

• 1. Re: Using an existing layout on a new database
          philmodjunk

Why not just make a copy (or clone) of your original file? That approach greatly minimizes the amount of work needed to get what you want.

If you must export the data, why not export it as a filemaker file? That way you can export the containers as well.

You should be able to open a file, enter layout mode, copy all the objects and then open a second file, enter layout mode and paste the copied objects. The issues you encounter are detail specific, the table occurrence of the new layout should have the same exact name as that of the original layout, the field names must also match. You may need to set up different layout parts to the exact size of the original layout before the copy/paste...