1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 4:53 PM by FentonJones

Using Applescript to import PDF's into FileMaker

ambrosiasw

Title

Using Applescript to import PDF's into FileMaker

Hi,

I'm an intern with Ambrosia Software Inc. I have been working on a process to automate scanning and storing paper that we would normally have to save (invoices, receipts, etc.). So far I have a combination of Applescript and Automator workflow that will do the scanning, combining, saving and PDF conversion we need. The final step in this project is finding a way to use Applescript or a combination of Applescript and FileMaker script to import these scanned documents into the appropriate records in our database. The scanned documents are saved with names corresponding to order numbers, and what I need is a solution that will match the name of the pdf file (which will be a order number) with the order number on the appropriate record in our database, then import the file and save it with that record. We are running FileMaker version 10 and our servers and desktop computers are running a Mix of OS X 10.5 and 10.6.  Any help, suggestions I can get would be most appreciated, if you need more info just let me know. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Using Applescript to import PDF's into FileMaker
          FentonJones

Probably the simplest method is to just Import the file(s) into their own table (which you'd like want to do anyway, so you could, if needed, have more than 1 file per order). Then just use a calculation field to extract only the Order Number (which must be unique in the parent Order table). That's really all you need to do to establish a positive relational match to the Order. You'd have a relationship based on this.

If you wanted to further process it, like move it to the Order, you could. But normally I'd say: 1. Not necessary, and, 2. Would block the possibility of > 1 document per order. Unless there can be only 1 per Order.

Alternatively, you could run a FileMaker Find or Find script from the AppleScript. But, since you have a way to process it using the file name, it seems you'd just be making it more complicated (hence breakable; change a field name, Oops! Broke the AppleScript's Find.)