1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 11:47 AM by philmodjunk

Using barcode batch scans to search for and edit multiple records

TamaraMiller_1

Title

Using barcode batch scans to search for and edit multiple records

Hi PhilModJunk,

I read a post you wrote about how to set up a script to enter a batch of barcodes into a global field within a FMP database and then parse out the individual scans into individual records (Barcoding and batch processing). There weren't specific details about how to do this, and I'm wondering if you can possibly help me to figure out how to set up that script. I work in an academic lab that generates lots of plants that get transferred to a greenhouse after being assigned a barcode. We have an Intelliscanner barcode scanner that allows us to scan multiple barcodes and then enter them into the computer. When we go to harvest all the plants we need to edit information about them all as a group. It seems that to achieve this I would have to write a script to search for multiple barcodes that the scanner enters, but I'm inexperienced with FMP and writing scripts so any advice from an expert would help.

If you could help, or even direct me to a source where I could learn how to write the script, I would be most appreciative.

• 1. Re: Using barcode batch scans to search for and edit multiple records
          philmodjunk

Mutch depends on the structure of your database, what you intend to do with the scanned data and whether you are using a scanner that is directly connected to your computer or one that stores the scanned barcodes for later download into your computer (as you have here).

Thus, it would help for you to describe what you have/plan to do in a bit more detail.

we need to edit information about them all as a group.

In which case, maybe you need a related table where you enter the "group" information once and then link all the records represented by your scanned barcodes to this one record instead of copying the same data over and over to individual records. Which option is best depends on what kind of info you need to enter/edit about this "group".