4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 2:16 PM by trialuser1111

Using checkboxes to select entries to add to a list

trialuser1111

Title

Using checkboxes to select entries to add to a list

Hello,

I am a trial user of FileMaker Pro 10 and in need of some help with a specific function.  What I would like to be able to do is check off (or some other form of selection) multiple entries and add them to a final list/report.  Here's an example:

We have entries for a number of companies that we may target for outreach, and each company has a variety of fields associated with it (name, location, size, etc.)  I know I can perform a find and look for, say, companies with a size greater than X located in Boston, but what I would THEN like to be able to do is hand-pick the companies included in a final list based on subjectivity.  This is because several of the fields include full paragraph descriptions of a company's operations, and searching for keywords would be too limiting and time consuming for our needs.

Is this possible in FileMaker, and if so, how can it be done?

Thank you!  I've got two 2 weeks left to figure this out! 

• 1. Re: Using checkboxes to select entries to add to a list
          Jade

Hello,

It sounds like all you have to do is add a checkbox field.  Unless I've misunderstood…again ;-)

After you do the first find (e.g. companies with a size greater than X located in Boston) then you can hand pick your favorites by clicking the checkbox for those companies.  When done, modify the last find by selecting the checkbox in Find mode. That will further constrain your "found set" to only those companies.

Hope you make the deadline. 

• 2. Re: Using checkboxes to select entries to add to a list
            trialuser1111

This is helpful, thank you.  But since I'm still so new to FileMaker, half my trouble has been with implementing various methods.  I can't seem to figure how to make checkboxes work properly (or at least the way I want them to).  I was able to come up with a workaround by creating an "Omit" button that excludes the companies I do NOT want to include, but I can't seem to replicate that same functionality with an "Include" button or by way of a checkbox.

If I insert a checkbox set, what do I need to do with respect to setup or behaviors to make the checkmarks work/appear?  Also, does this work in Table View, or only List and Form View?

Thanks again 

• 3. Re: Using checkboxes to select entries to add to a list
              Jade

You only need 3 things to enable a checkbox:

• The checkbox field itself on the layout.  (I haven't tried it on the table view but it should work and is easy to verify.)

• A text field in your table that displays the data of the checkbox. 

• A value list containing the word or list of words that act as labels on the layout.  You can have one or more words depending on how many checkboxes you want in the set.  

When you click a checkbox on, the corresponding value list item (label text) is set into the text field on the table.

As with any field, you can adjust the color and background of the checkbox. 

So you may want to add a value list called, let's say "Include", that has one item in it, let's say "included".  The word "included" will show up on the layout to the right of the checkbox and if checked will be placed in the associated text field of your table.

Hope this is clear enough. 

• 4. Re: Using checkboxes to select entries to add to a list
                trialuser1111

I can't quite get it to work in Table mode or list mode for whatever reason, but I got it working in Form mode which is good enough as a proof of concept!  I'll just have to keep working with the program to become more familiar with its ins and outs.

Thanks!!