1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 2:12 PM by TSGal

Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names

brecor

Title

Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names

I'd like to set up a database using the starter Music Library with FileMaker 10.  It appears there is some way to extract track names (and times) using the kf id Library, then running a script.  If this is true, where is the kf id Library code and how do I run the script to get the information I want?

• 1. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
          TSGal

brecor:

Thank you for your post.

The Track names are stored in the field "TrackName" inside the Tracks table.  The times are stored in the field "TimeCalc" (as a Time) or "TimeEntry" (as a Number) in the Tracks table.  You can create a new layout with just these two fields.

The kf ID Library code is linked to the Music Library kp_ID_Record.  There is no script needed to extract the track names.

Better yet.  What exactly do you want to display? 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
            brecor

Thanks for your reply.

I was looking for a way to have the track names automatically input by linking to a music code on the internet -- similar to what happens when you ask for a search of the cd on iTunes.

• 3. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
              TSGal

brecor:

Unfortunately, FileMaker Pro cannot automatically update records from the web.  You would need to download and import into the appropriate table(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
                heli

Trying to find an easy solution, also being a novice with FM, I found a small prog: InCDius GH. It is described as a freedb client and audio CD database. The author suggestst to modify his example applescript to send the retrieved data to FileMaker. Have not tried yet, am not familiar to applescript either. Sounds good to me.

The link: http://web.mac.com/grhowes/Generally_Helpful_Software/InCDius_GH.html 

• 5. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
                  Byron_1

Hello TSGal:

This is Byron, brand new to FMP (but I am a computer person/webmaster).

Looking to use the Template "Music Library", have about 700 MP3's.

Trying to build a data base where users can Search music style by keywords and play/download 30 second MP3's.

For now no need to change cosmetics of the Music Template Library, just need it to do this.

ANY help you could give would be much appreciated, I'm a Pro Tools HD 8 expert in the studio world so if

you need audio recording advice and I can help you (or anyone).

Cheers.

Byron Nemeth

www.pacificastudios.com

• 6. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
                    TSGal

Byron:

Thank you for your post.

The "Music Library" Template contains four tables.  Create a new Container field in the "Tracks" table.  This will allow you to attach a 30-second clip to each track.  You would then need to modify a couple of layouts, like the Album Info tab, so you can display the track in the "Tracks" portal on the right side of that tab.  You could then click a button and/or field to play the clip.

This should give you a good starting point.

Please let me know if you need clarification for any of the above ideas.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
                      Byron_1

Thank you TS Gal:

You have to forgive my ignorance, I'm a TOTAL Newbie to FMP.

Please be as literale/Detailed as possible:

How do you > "Create a new Container field in the "Tracks" table"

I went to  Tracks as you can see by the Log in below but in View Browser mode all of my Inserts are greyed out and are unclickable.

(Unless I'm thinking the wrong thing and this is not the start of a new Container), what about 700 MP3's?, they will not all fit

in the FMP file right ?, extrnal linking for playing on a server?

How do you >"modify a couple of layouts, like the Album Info tab, so you can display the track in the "Tracks" portal on the righ"

Totally lost on how to modity the layout - *sorry*

How do you > Once tons of MP3's are linked how do you set up search for them by keywords?

Sorry again for all the questions and I'm sure their will be more, REALLY appreciate your help.

Please let me know.

Cheers!

Byron Nemeth

http://192.168.1.102/

USER:

Admin

PASSWORD:

music

• 8. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
                        TSGal

Byron:

To create a new Container field, pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database...".  Click on the "Tables" tab.  Highlight the "Tracks" table.  Click on the "Fields" tab.  Just to be sure, in the upper corner pop-up next to "Table:", it should display "Tracks".  If not, then select it.

Now that your fields for "Tracks" are displayed, enter a field name (Image? or whatever you want to name it), change the "Type:" to Container, and click Create.  The Container field (Image) has now been created.  You can then put this field on the layout in the desired location.

I'm not sure what you mean by "View Browser mode".  Do you mean "Browse Mode"?  If so, and all your "Inserts" are greyed out, perhaps you don't have any records in the table.  Add a record (first selection under Records menu). 

Yes, the 700 MP3's can fit into the database file, or you can store them as reference.  When you insert a MP3, you have the option to store as a reference presented in the lower half of the screen.

Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  This allows you to move fields around on the layout.

Once your MP3's are linked, you can go into "Find Mode" (also from the View menu) and enter the criteria you are searching for.  If you have a keyword field, enter the keyword into that field and press return.  You will then automatically switch to Browse Mode and only those records that have that particular keyword are displayed.

This should get you pointed in the right direction.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
                          Byron_1

OK - I got the Container Field in and thru Inserts and Quicktime I'm able to place my 1 MP3.

I can play/preview it locally but cannot view it on the Internet, no play button when I open on the Net.

Can I have a play button and to be able to have a slider to grab and go to the middle of the music? That is important to music supervisors

and one function that I need to have happen.

If these MP3's are linked externally will their even be a play button/slider?

If the MP3's are IN Database locally, how do they upload to the Net?, this whole part of FMP is super confusing to me given the huge
                          file size that 700 possible MP3's could bring.

Thanks again for your help!!!!

Please let me know!!!

Cheers.

Byron

• 10. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
                            TSGal

Byron:

Thank you for the additional information.

If you want a MP3 file to be playable via Instant Web Publishing, then you must put the MP3 file in the Web Folder inside the FileMaker Pro 10 folder, and then insert the MP3 from there.  Then, the MP3 will display externally with the slider.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
                              Byron_1

OK.

No how do I make this live to the public:

http://192.168.1.102

When I give this link to my friends they cannot see it????

Why?

They have the passwords...

No databases available.

Thanks again, please let me know.

Cheers

Byron

• 12. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
                                TSGal

Byron:

I am unable to access this IP Address.  Make sure your computer is set up to allow incoming connections.  Since you can view it locally, this may be the reason.

What other web services are you running on that computer?  There may be a port conflict.  If you are using a port other than port 80, then make sure you have that port open for other users.  If you aren't sure, check with your system administrator.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
                                  lolliffe
                                     How about in the other direction?  How do I get track names INTO the Music Library?  That is, if I save an iTunes playlist out to a text, or XML file, how do I import those tracks and times into the Music Library?
                                  • 14. Re: Using Collections Music Library - How to get Track Names
                                    TSGal

lolliffe:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro can import text files (CSV and TSV) directly.  Select the table you want to import and match the fields from the text file to the table.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next