3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2011 4:16 PM by philmodjunk

Using Company records in two different ways

vcdpp

Title

Using Company records in two different ways

Update: If I create a new layout using the relationship to Project 2, I will lose all the data I am using via the relationships with Project 1. See new visual below, with arrows showing relationships I am using throughout the layout. Am I just pushing the boundaries too far for one layout?

Hi.  I put companies together for joint marketing efforts.  For each project, I have 1 client with many prospective partners. I have a complete list of companies in a table, each has a unique identifier, and at any given time they can be client, prospective partner, or both (in various projects).

Example Project: For Cheese Company A, I will reach out to 20 Cracker Companies to see if one will say yes. In each project I would like to, in a tab (via portal?) choose numerous companies as potential partners, then show their status (considering, declined, committed.) And most likely add fields to this, such as date last contacted.

Is there a way to use the Company records and view/choose them as potential partners? And choose many of them on tab/layout in a portal? The rest I could do via value lists, I suspect.

A visual of my Project Details is attached. I put in the Notes tab what I would like to do in a  Partners tab so you can visualize it.

Thanks!

Picture_6.png

• 1. Re: Using Company records in two different ways
          philmodjunk

Didn't we discuss this concept before? It looks very familiar and I'd hate to take you back through ancient history here.

This looks like something to handle with a join table and a many to many relationship. Fields defined in the join table can document the status and other details specific to this pairing of a company and a prospective partner. Then your notes field can be replaced with a portal to this join table.

• 2. Re: Using Company records in two different ways
            vcdpp

Ah, the join table, you're right!  How come you always answer me ... did they assign you to handle all the idiots? :-)

• 3. Re: Using Company records in two different ways
              philmodjunk

In my book, the "idiots" are the folks who don't ask for help when they need to. Wink

BTW, you can edit your original post to add a screen shot instead of posting a separate unconnected link: Join Table, a little more help?

This will take the same basic set up like you already have for Projects 2----<Project_Company>----Company 2

The layout above would be based on Projects 2 instead of Projects (respecify your fields on the above layout to be from Projects 2 instead of projects.) and add fields to Project Company to document the status of each prorspective partner. Then your portal can be a portal to Project_Company.