1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2013 11:16 AM by philmodjunk

Using Dropdown to select all data on a layout...

productionQC

Title

Using Dropdown to select all data on a layout...

Hello - I have a well established Database that I would like to add a layout to.  On this layout I would like to have a dropdown list at the top containing a list of itmes a user could select and have all charts and fields on the page show data pertaining to only that Item appear.  The data for the items would be coming from multiple tables.  Example:  User selects a company.  All testing data performed for that company would appear on the page, including charts.  When the user selects "all" all of the data is combinded.  My question is a general one as I need some guidence before I get too far down the wrong path.   Does anyone have some suggestions on what direction I should go to best set this up...Broad question I know!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Using Dropdown to select all data on a layout...
          philmodjunk

You have two options and they are not mutually exclusive.

Option 1:

Make the drop down a global field. A script trigger on the drop down can perform a script that performs a find for a record in the layout's table or uses Go To Related Records to find that selected record. The primary key in that record can then link to other related tables to pull in data from related tables for inclusion in your layout.

See this thread for examples of scripted finds: Scripted Find Examples

Option 2:

Make the drop down list's field the match field that links the current record to the other related tables. Selecting a value in the drop down then links the current record on your layout to the related records in other tables in order to display the correct data.