And this it it layout mode.
It doesn't sound like the merge field and the letter text are part of the same text object.
I think you made a mistake in how you added these two items, the merge field and the letter text to your layout.
Follow these steps and see if they differ from what you did:
- Enter layout mode.
- Select the text tool (Click the "T" in the status tool bar.)
- Click where you want the body of this letter to start and drag to create a text box approximately the size and location that you want for the body of your letter.
- Select "Merge Field" from the insert menu and insert your <<Name>> field into this text box.
- Then type in or paste the "thank you for attending..." text.
- Click another part of the layout to get selection handles and use them to refine the size and position of this combined text and merge field as needed.
Thanks PhilModJunk, it worked a treat! Nice and simple too. Thanks again :-)