3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 1:50 PM by JudeAshton

Using fields in a letter

JudeAshton

Title

Using fields in a letter & paragraph of set text

Hi there, I am using Filemaker Pro 13 Mac version. I have a database that has a various letters that has the standard address, name etc.However I have a include the customers name in a paragraph.

Eg. 

<<First Name field>> ,thank you for attending the appointment. Please can you visit our office next week.

I have tried the Merge Field command and also used the standard field. I am using a text box that stores the text paragraph (, thank you) etc. As you can see with image attached, there sometimes can be a gap from the first name and the paragraph. If the first name is slightly longer it will clash with the first sentence. Plus the paragraph wont readjust automatically, mainly because its separate.

So is there a better way to do this or is it not possible?

Thanks in advance,

Jude Ashton.

Letter_in_Browse_mode.jpg

• 1. Re: Using fields in a letter & paragraph of set text
          JudeAshton

And this it it layout mode.

• 2. Re: Using fields in a letter & paragraph of set text
            philmodjunk

It doesn't sound like the merge field and the letter text are part of the same text object.

I think you made a mistake in how you added these two items, the merge field and the letter text to your layout.

Follow these steps and see if they differ from what you did:

1.           Enter layout mode.
            3.           Select the text tool (Click the "T" in the status tool bar.)
            5.           Click where you want the body of this letter to start and drag to create a text box approximately the size and location that you want for the body of your letter.
            7.           Select "Merge Field" from the insert menu and insert your <<Name>> field into this text box.
            9.           Then type in or paste the "thank you for attending..." text.
            11.           Click another part of the layout to get selection handles and use them to refine the size and position of this combined text and merge field as needed.
            • 3. Re: Using fields in a letter & paragraph of set text
              JudeAshton

Thanks PhilModJunk, it worked a treat! Nice and simple too. Thanks again :-)