AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using fields in combination with the Send mail script

Question asked by Michel on Jun 1, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 1, 2014 by Michel

Title

Using fields in combination with the Send mail script

Hello,

I am a teacher, and I need to keep track of my students' absences. My students need to hand in a note, either written by their parents or by a doctor, and I have set up a FileMaker Pro 13 database that contains all the relevant fields. I am now trying to automate the process, and here is what I would like to do:

I have created a button that, when pressed, is supposed to create a new email with a certain predefined message, along the lines of

"Dear <First name>,

This is just a short message to inform you that you still need to hand in a note for the <number of hours> hour(s) of absence on <date>."

I am able to write that text in the "Send mail" dialogue (in the Button setup dialogue), and I am also able to insert the fields in the to, subject,  and message fields. However, once I run this script, all I get is the text above, i.e. the fields do not get populated with the actual entries from my database. If I simply insert one field (say, in the subject line), without any other text, then that one field gets populated, but as soon as I combine it with additional text, it all reverts to the boilerplate text.

My question is therefore: Can this be done? And if so, what do I need to change to get this button to work as expected?

Just in case it is relevant: I am using the latest version of FMP 13 on a Mac, running OS X 10.9.3 (all the latest updates have been applied). My default email application is Outlook 2011 (also up to date), but the same problem manifests itself if I set Mail as my default email application.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you even more for trying to help this FMP newbie.

Outcomes