2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2014 4:16 AM by Michel

Using fields in combination with the Send mail script

Michel

Title

Using fields in combination with the Send mail script

Hello,

I am a teacher, and I need to keep track of my students' absences. My students need to hand in a note, either written by their parents or by a doctor, and I have set up a FileMaker Pro 13 database that contains all the relevant fields. I am now trying to automate the process, and here is what I would like to do:

I have created a button that, when pressed, is supposed to create a new email with a certain predefined message, along the lines of

"Dear <First name>,

This is just a short message to inform you that you still need to hand in a note for the <number of hours> hour(s) of absence on <date>."

I am able to write that text in the "Send mail" dialogue (in the Button setup dialogue), and I am also able to insert the fields in the to, subject,  and message fields. However, once I run this script, all I get is the text above, i.e. the fields do not get populated with the actual entries from my database. If I simply insert one field (say, in the subject line), without any other text, then that one field gets populated, but as soon as I combine it with additional text, it all reverts to the boilerplate text.

My question is therefore: Can this be done? And if so, what do I need to change to get this button to work as expected?

Just in case it is relevant: I am using the latest version of FMP 13 on a Mac, running OS X 10.9.3 (all the latest updates have been applied). My default email application is Outlook 2011 (also up to date), but the same problem manifests itself if I set Mail as my default email application.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you even more for trying to help this FMP newbie.