7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 11:33 AM by putnik

Using FileMaker 9 ODBC Drivers on Snow Leopard

TicTocCroc

Title

Using FileMaker 9 ODBC Drivers on Snow Leopard

I'm attempting to use the FileMaker 9 ODBC drivers on Snow Leopard, but when I run a test via the terminal command 'iodbctest' I get the following:

1: SQLDriverConnect = [iODBC][Driver Manager]dlopen(/Users/Tyler/Library/ODBC/SequeLink.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ivslk20.dylib, 6): no suitable image found.  Did find:

/Users/Tyler/Library/ODBC/SequeLink.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ivslk20.dylib: no matching architecture in universal  (0) SQLSTATE=00000

2: SQLDriverConnect = [iODBC][Driver Manager]Specified driver could not be loaded (0) SQLSTATE=IM003

Presumably, the driver has not been built for either an Intel architecture or a 64-bit one. Does this mean I can't use this driver on Snow Leopard? Or is this just a product of the tool I'm using (iodbctest) to access the FileMaker database? If I can't use the driver, is it possible for me to get one that will work, short of upgrading to FileMaker 10?

• 1. Re: Using FileMaker 9 ODBC Drivers on Snow Leopard
          TSGal

TicTocCroc:

Thank you for your post.

First, I would look at Knowledge Base Article #7360 at:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7360

If that doesn't apply, then I worked extensively with a customer getting the ODBC driver in FileMaker Pro 10 working with Leopard (not Snow Leopard), and documented at:

http://fm.lithium.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=14712#M14712

Try these first and let me know if you continue to have difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Using FileMaker 9 ODBC Drivers on Snow Leopard
            Mithril

Hello,

I am having this same exact issue.  I went through the other threads you mentioned, but I still seem to be having an issue getting it to work with anything other than the test feature in the administrator utility.  It seems to work there, but any other application I try to get to access the DSN fails with the same error as he posted above.

Any other ideas?

-David Rivera 

• 3. Re: Using FileMaker 9 ODBC Drivers on Snow Leopard
              OpenLinkSupport

Hi

It sounds as if the iodbctest universal binary (or application being used) is being started with an archtiecture that the SequeLink ODBC Driver (ivslk20.dylib) does not support.

By default an application will be started with the archtiecture type of the chip it is running on or the most compatible, thus is you are running on a 64 bit intel chip iodbctest will run in 64bit mode (x86_64), or if running on a 32bit chip it will run in 32bit (i386) mode. The binary architecture types support by iodbctest or any other executable can be determined by running the "file" command against it:

$ file /usr/bin/iodbctest
              /usr/bin/iodbctest: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
              /usr/bin/iodbctest (for architecture x86_64):    Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
              /usr/bin/iodbctest (for architecture i386):    Mach-O executable i386
              /usr/bin/iodbctest (for architecture ppc7400):    Mach-O executable ppc

Thus you should check what architectures are supported by the SequeLink ODBC Driver (ivslk20.dylib) with the command:

$ file /Users/Tyler/Library/ODBC/SequeLink.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ivslk20.dylib

and compare with the chip type of your machine and the architectures supported by the application to ensure the application is started in a mode supported by the ODBC Driver you are trying to use.

You can force an application to run with a specific archtiecture using the  arch -arch <arch_type> command, for example to force iodbctest to start in i386 mode running on a 64bit (x86_64) machine run the command:

$ arch -arch i386 /usr/bin/iodbctest

Then if your ODBC Driver is also of this binary architecture type it can be loaded by the application. Even if it is a Universal binary with multiple archtiectures  the appropriate format will be loaded to match the application if available. Otherwise you would typically get the error reported in the original post.

This is one of the known issues with Universal binaries containing multiple binary architectures, which provide the benefit of being able to provide run on any machine type support, but then any underlying libraries the application loads must also be able to run in the binary architcture mode it is running in.

See, the following URLs for more details on Apple Universal binaries:

http://www.apple.com/universal/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_binary

I hope this helps ...

Best Regards
              Hugh Williams
              Professional Services
              OpenLink Software
              Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
              Support: http://support.openlinksw.com
              Forums: http://boards.openlinksw.com/support
              Twitter: http://twitter.com/OpenLink

• 4. Re: Using FileMaker 9 ODBC Drivers on Snow Leopard
                ddelmonte

Hi TSGal, I have followed your notes in the threads below. I get an error ODBC SequeLink driver File not found 'odbc.ini'

Any ideas... and thanks

David 

ps. there is a odbc.ini file - it's in the /Library/ODBC folder.

pps. 10.6.2 FM9.0.3, MacPro... 

• 5. Re: Using FileMaker 9 ODBC Drivers on Snow Leopard
                  TSGal

All:

Another Support Technician and I are having difficulty making this work with Snow Leopard.  The information above from "OpenLink Support" has been helpful, but we are still getting the error message that the odbc.ini file cannot be found.  This is the same issue for both FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 10 using the latest version - iODBC 3.52.7.

Please stay tuned as we continue to try and find a solution for Snow Leopard.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Using FileMaker 9 ODBC Drivers on Snow Leopard
                    putnik

I am trying to import an Access database into Filemaker 10 (trial version) using FmPro Migrator and iODBC Administrator.   

Since I am new to this, please excuse my silly questions. 

1. I noted that when trying to use Access Manager I did not need to enter a dsn because the Access source database on my computer was recognised by the system.  Is this true of iODBC Administrator.  If not, should I use the example 127.0.0.1 or my own IP address?  Do I need to state the Port 2399 either?

2. With the former Access Manager I was getting the Test function to work atleast, but with iODBC Administrator I also get the error message that "odbc.ini cannot be found" when trying to import the table data.

3. I changed from the former ODBC Access Manager, because they charge for the full version.  Really, should I be paying for an omission to the Snow Leopard OS?

There, I told you the questions were pretty basic. Have you solved the odbc.ini problem yet?

Thanks for your help, this is very frustrating.

Michael

• 7. Re: Using FileMaker 9 ODBC Drivers on Snow Leopard
                      putnik

It seems that nobody is going to help so let me say that I have got as far as importing my basic table structures, but when trying to import the data I get an error. I have not even been able to try importing the queries, macros or reports.

This is a pity. I had spent four years developing a sophisticated Access database to report on beneficiaries, building specifications, material orders  and deliveries, during my humanitarian aid work in the Balkans as a Shelter Manager. It was successful in meeting the strict requirements of the international donor community and  I was set to use it to good effect in Haiti.  However, for my sins I bought a Mac. Now I am trying to produce a platform agnostic version and thought that Filemaker might fit the bill.  Well, sorry, it doesn't work, I get no assistance, and third parties want me to pay for basic requirements such as drivers. There is no way that I am going to pay hundreds of euros on a system that is so obviously two bit.