3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 10:43 AM by philmodjunk

Using Filemaker as an email archive

ChrisSimmonds

Title

Using Filemaker as an email archive

I'm looking into using Filemaker as an email archive and have found an application to transfer emails from entourage to Filemaker. I just want to generate a seperate database for each project we have which can be shared on a server. I've done the export and have put the file on the server but have noticed all these warning signs about sharing a database through network sharing. I anticipate that the archive would not be heavily used and, if used would be by one person at a time. I also want the ability to take the file away from the office for filing on a separate machine.I want it on the server so it can be backed up. I don't really want to have to install Filemaker on the server and host the archive(s) as this would be an admin nightmare. Are the risks of file corruption really small if the file is largely going to be used for viewing records only and will  only be amended or added to infrequently?

• 1. Re: Using Filemaker as an email archive
          philmodjunk

Any risk of corruption greater than zero is not good. A corrupted file can become completely unusable and file corruption can be latent (not noticeable) for an extended period of time until something happens to make the problem obvious and then you find that all your back up copies are also damaged as they are also back ups of your damaged file.

You need to open the db on the server with FileMaker Pro or Filemaker Server and then users should use Open Remote from within Filemaker to access the hosted database.

I also would not set up a separate database for each project. It generally works much better to keep all your data from all your projects in the same database, but with a value in a field that identifies the project so that you can work with different projects by pulling up different groups of records rather than having to open a different database.

• 2. Re: Using Filemaker as an email archive
            ChrisSimmonds

Many Thanks Phil,

I'm still getting my head around Filemaker. I take your point about having one big database. Would it therefore be better to host this database using Filemaker Server?

• 3. Re: Using Filemaker as an email archive
              philmodjunk

Server is a better option than using FileMaker Pro, but it's also much more expensive. Some people then choose to contract with a FileMaker hosting service--which also lessens the the IT issues involved in installing and configuring server.

So you'll have to weigh the cost vs the benefits. The biggest limitation to the less expensive Filemaker Pro host is that it can only support up to 5 simultaneous connections and that counts a person sitting at and using the host machine as one of the 5.