1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 9:55 AM by philmodjunk

Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?

vikgada

Title

Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?

Dear forum members

Can anyone advise how to access FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN. We have two remote users who need to be able to work with FileMaker Pro and access databases same as LAN users.

What was done:

We have installed FileMaker Pro on remote workstations and established connection to the company server via VPN. However, we are receiving the following error (please see image file) when open “OPEN DATABASE.fp7” file. 

What are we doing wrong?

We are using FileMaker Pro 7.0v3.; Windows XP SP3,

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance!

Viktor

Clipboard01.gif

• 1. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
          Sorbsbuster

If you simply want the users to access the databse you don't need a VPN.  (You would for other functions, if the database has records that link to other files, such as container fields with referenced documents in them, for example.)

You need to set up your host network's router for port forwarding.  You need to forward Port 5003 to the host computer.  The remote users should use Open Remote - Favourites ->Add a Favourite and enter the public IP address of the host network's router.

• 2. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
            vikgada

Thanks for your feedback!

As a matter of fact I tried that. I configured port forwarding and added public IP to favorites and it automatically showed a list of available files. However, after selecting any of them and attempting to login we are getting error “The account or password you entered cannot be used to access this file”.

Any help is welcomed. Thanks you so much!

• 3. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
              Sorbsbuster

Try that same account name and password from inside the network.  Check that caps lock etc is not on.  Once you see the files listed then you should have access.

• 4. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
                philmodjunk

Are you by any chance using server side authentication instead of Filemaker acocunts and passwords here?

• 5. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
                  vikgada

We've tried different users, passwords, etc - no luck. These files look weird. Something is telling me, these are configuration files or something, not actual DB files. Not sure though... Any thoughts?  

• 6. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
                    vikgada

Hi PhilModJunk, I'm not very familiar with using server side authentication but know that all LAN users need to enter username and password for login.

• 7. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
                      Sorbsbuster

When you use the 'Open Remote' you should see a list of servers on the left side.  Do you see the server that is hosting the file you mean to log on to?

When you click on the correct server you should see in the right pane all of the FM files that is is hosting.  Do you see the correct file name there?

• 8. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
                        vikgada

Sorbsbuster, this is exactly what I am seeing. After selecting a host and picking up some file from a list I hit open, then after providing user credentials I am getting an error “The account or password you entered cannot be used to access this file”.

• 9. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
                          vikgada

I have contacted the guy who primary installed and setup FileMaker for us locally and here is his reply:

"The database is setup to use a opener file on the local machine that runs scripts to configure individual user settings each time it opens the database.  The file - open remote procedure might be something we could use to test performance of the database over a VPN though."

Please advise.

Thanks!

Viktor

• 10. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
                            Sorbsbuster

I am confused by your postings:

"These files look weird. Something is telling me, these are configuration files or something, not actual DB files."

then, to the question:

"Do you see the server that is hosting the file you mean to log on to? [...] Do you see the correct file name there?"

you say:

"this is exactly what I am seeing."

I don't know whether you are seeing the correct file names or not.  Do you see the same file names when you use Open Remote from inside the network?

You do not need a VPN to make the file open, or available for opening.  (There are other features which may require a VPN.)

You should be able to use a valid user account and password to open the file IF you can see the correct host in the left pane and the correct filename in the right pane.  I cannot think of anything that an 'opener' file would do more.  Yes - it can make it easy for you to double-click and open the file for you, but it will just be doing silently what you are doing here, step-by-step.

• 11. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
                              vikgada

I am seeing all files and they seem to be correct files (sorry for the confusion). I just verified folder of database listed at the FileMaker Server Admin and these are same files as I see after adding public IP to my favorite hosts. But I cannot open them for some reason. Can it be some sort of configuration at FileMaker Server? Maybe I have to enable somewhere to be able to use and modify these DBs remotely??? I am not sure .... What do you think? Thanks for your help!

Viktor

• 12. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
                                Sorbsbuster

Can you open these files using 'Open Remote' from inside your network (using that account name and password)?

• 13. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
                                  vikgada

Nope. I am getting same authentication error. (The account or password you entered cannot be used to access this file).

• 14. Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7 through VPN connection ?
                                    philmodjunk

"The database is setup to use a opener file on the local machine that runs scripts to configure individual user settings each time it opens the database.

Are you using these "opener files"?

I suspect that they use a password to open the files on the network. Their external data source references in these opener files may or may not work from a remote location as they might use an IP address valid for inside the network that is not valid for remote access from outside the network.

Any chance you can work with the guy that set this up originally to resolve this?

Seems like he would be your best bet here as he should know how he set this up in the first place.

1 2 Previous Next