3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 8:30 AM by philmodjunk

Using Filemaker to create CRM/management

jasonmichel

Title

Using Filemaker to create CRM/management

I was looking at creating a piece of software that could help manage my fitness center.  Some of the things I would like to be able to do is obviously track memberships, punch in/outs, inventory, sales reporting, overdue notices. etc.  Is this something that is withing the realm of what you can do with filemaker or is there something simpler?

• 1. Re: Using Filemaker to create CRM/management
          philmodjunk

It is easily within the realm of what can be done with FileMaker, but the important question is whether or not You can do it with FileMaker. Your success or failure with getting a product like FileMaker to do what you need will depend on your skills, prior experience with database or other software development and the amount of time and funds you choose to invest in acquiring a decent working knowledge of how to develop a database using FileMaker Pro.

There are a number of different training resources and books available--even videos on You Tube that can help you get up to speed And you can get a free 30 day trial copy of FileMaker to play with to see if you can get things to work. The product--including the 30 day trial copy comes with "starter solutions" that include one for managing contacts and another for invoicing. These won't do all that you have described here "Straight out of the box", but they do demonstrate what can be done with FileMaker and can be useful starting points for setting up your own custom database solution.

• 2. Re: Using Filemaker to create CRM/management
            jasonmichel

yeah its something I'm willing and patient enough to learn, I've done alot of work with sql/access/oracle in the past, What draws me to this is being able to do the mobility piece. Thanks for the quick response.  I'm just going to download and give it a whirl and see.

• 3. Re: Using Filemaker to create CRM/management
              philmodjunk

Note that FileMaker Advanced makes extremely limited use of SQL. Many SQL fluent developers find it to be a bit of a challenge to "reprogram" their thinking before they are successfully using the alternative methods required for Filemaker instead of the SQL queries they might use with another DB system.