5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 8:40 PM by TKnTexas

Using FM for Inventory Management System w/ barcodes?

TravisWinnie

Title

Using FM for Inventory Management System w/ barcodes?

A while back I created a database to track workorders in a manufacturing facility, and would now like to use filemaker to create an inventory tracking system.  I know that there is a template that comes with the program, but I am worried it won't be what I need just by the looks of it.

I would like to use Filemaker GO in the warehouse to scan barcodes on product that just arrived, and when the barcode is scanned it will pull up that item (of course we will have to create the item info ahead of time for each item) and they can quickly just put in how much of that item they received.  They would also be able to use FM GO to scan the barcode for outgoing product as well, and quickly remove the quantity from the item database.  Hopefully the incoming quantities and outgoing would update in real time for the FM Pro users in the office.  If this is possible, would I also need to get FM Server?

Would this work using Filemaker?  Barcodes are an important part of the process, and I plan on having a barcode on each item.  We want to be able to keep track of inventory better, and I feel this would be a great idea if Filemaker has the capability.  

Thank you guys for your help, if you need more information or if I wasn't clear enough just let me know.

• 1. Re: Using FM for Inventory Management System w/ barcodes?
          philmodjunk

You would not be able to use the starter solution without modifying it. With modification both iOS devices using FM GO and computers with USB barcode readers can scan bar codes and scripts can be devised to support the operation of each. The two different systems would need different script to scan in information and process the results. The iOS devices use their built in cameras and the Insert From Device script step. Computers with bar code readers running in keyboard emulation use script triggers to respond to the scanned data.

• 2. Re: Using FM for Inventory Management System w/ barcodes?
            TravisWinnie

I am familiar with the Insert From Device for iOS bar code scanning.  A few months back actually you helped me with that.  My worry is that when I would scan the barcodes for a work order, each scan created a new entry, rather than read the barcode and update that workorder.  If there is a script that would allow me to just scan a barcode for an item, and then change the stock level down or up depending on what we are doing with it, then this would be perfect.  I don't mind spending the time to set up every single SKU we have at the company,as long as it would allow us to edit it.

I basically want to be able to set up every single item with a barcode, and then have the workers in the warehouse scan an item, at which point FM GO can pull up that item in the database and allow them to update the quantity level and save it.  This way the office can see a live count of our inventory at all times.  Would that be possible? 

• 3. Re: Using FM for Inventory Management System w/ barcodes?
              TKnTexas

Yes you can script it to do whatever actions you want.  Scanning is just replacing typing.   

• 4. Re: Using FM for Inventory Management System w/ barcodes?
                TravisWinnie

Awesome thank you!  Looks like I have some work to do learning how to script.  

Thanks again and I look forward to the challenge!

• 5. Re: Using FM for Inventory Management System w/ barcodes?
                  TKnTexas

I would create a little DB to play.   Scan a barcode to bring up the master record.  Scan a code to bring up a transaction record that you enter a POSITIVE or NEGATIVE amount, ie buying or selling.  

Then you can tackle the bigger modifications.  Good luck.