1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 9:35 AM by philmodjunk

Using FMK 11 Contact Record Mgt

gldiaz

Title

Using FMK 11 Contact Record Mgt

I would like a thought or two on this one,
      if anyone can help.

1. I am using FMK11 Starter Application "Contact Record mgt."(CRM)

I would like to understand how to do the following, while using the starter CRM.

I am hoping to import 488 convience store locations with their information into the CRM.
      The information has Company name, addresses, city, state, zip, ph and Contact persons.
      I think I can do the import and match up the names prior to doing the import.

What, I am hoping for is way to import my data base list of convience stores into CRM 'AND'
      have a way to "Add" new locations on the Fly.  I was hoping to have the list "Drop down" (if this)
      is the best way to paste an existing Location into a new record. I eventually want to keep track of
      locations, the number of times visited and the last date visited.

In essence it might look something like this:

A.  I Import all locations into the Contact Record Mgt (Starter database) using the Import method. Using

File, Import records, file and selecting the excel worksheet to import to the matching fields. then IMPORT.

B.  Now after the Data Base list in put in a FMK11,
      And when using the CRM, I would like to enter (example)  "Smi" and a list of "Smi, Smitxxx etc locations pop up, for
      me to select the one location, i am interested in updating.  Again, I want to track the number of visits made
      to the location and maybe add a notation of the visit.  (I''m not sure how to do this part) 

C. So after this location is selected and modified or entered, I can then go to a New Record.
      Here the process of the drop downs start over. "
      I enter "Tuc" (without the quotes) and a list of Tuc's drop down.

example: T or Tu or TUC will give me locations like:(in alpha order)

Tucon Center
      Tucson Regional
      Tucsset Valley Store

And if the location is not listed, I would like to add a new location on the fly.
      What's important, is to track the number of visits made over a period of time and
      a radio button would be used for "Followup" Y ()  No ().

Is this too difficult to do for a newbee or is there another option on getting my
      drop downs to do more in the Contact Record Mgt DB?

Hope its clear enough.
      Thanks.

• 1. Re: Using FMK 11 Contact Record Mgt
          philmodjunk

First, you need to be careful when importing contacts into this starter solution. Use the wrong options and the solation will not function correctly with these imported records. This appliex to importing contact info into several of these starter solutions. See this link for details: Help importing Excel data into a Filemaker Starter solution (It's a different starter solution, but the issue and how to avoid it is the same.)

Second, you will need to invest some time into learning more about how FileMaker works so you can figure out how to modify the design of the file. We'll help as we can, but you need that background info in order to successfully understand and implement what we suggest. There are training resources, videos and books you can use for this purpose.

For B and C, the main thing that I can say is that yes it is possible to do this, but it isn't something that's necessarily simple to implement. You can set up drop down lists of names that have an auto complete option so that the list automatically "prunes" down to just those names starting with the text you enter and you can enter a name not on the list into the field and then it will appear in the list the next time the value list drops down.

The catch here is that your existing drop downs may use a value lists that displays a name, but enters an ID number into the field. When this is the case, the auto-complete option is not available. I've designed several work arounds for where the user can interact with either an auto-complete enabled drop down list of names or they type text into a box and a list of clickable options updates in a portal below it keystroke by key stroke. These methods require a decent understanding of scripting though, before you can adapt them to work with your database.

http://www.4shared.com/file/plr_jbkk/EnhancedValueSelection.html