1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 12:40 PM by philmodjunk

Using FMP 8.5 with Mountain Lion

KenWorsham

Title

Using FMP 8.5 with Mountain Lion

I'm currently using FMP 8.5 (I know, woefully out of date but I haven't needed any of the new features for a while).  I recently updated my system from a several  years old laptop to a new MacBook Pro w/ Retina display and decided it was time for a clean install of everything rather than migrating.  I unfortunately discovered that the installer for FMP is a PowerPC application so it won't run on Mountain Lion.  FMP 8.5 itself however runs just fine (it was running on my previous MacBook Pro which was also running Mountain Lion).  I was able to grab all the pieces of FMP from my previous system and copy them to my new laptop and for the most part things seem to be running fine.  However when I attempt to print anything from FMP it crashes before it even brings up the print dialog.

I'm guessing that something was missed when I copied the application from the old system to the new.  I can't run the installer to lay down a fresh copy, and even the 8.5v1 -> 8.5v2 updater is a PPC application so I can't even try to update it.

Any suggestions on how to either 1) resolve the printing crash or 2) do a clean install of FMP 8.5 onto my new laptop?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Using FMP 8.5 with Mountain Lion
          philmodjunk

There's no guarantee that a version that old will work correctly on your new computer, no matter what you do, but since you are getting a crash, the first thing to do is to try to figure out the exact cause of the crash...

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
               Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

What is reported when you recover the file?
               The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1.           Recover does not detect all problems
          3.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          5.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
               That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...