4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 10:33 AM by philmodjunk

Using Get(FoundCount) and null

wbanks

Title

Using Get(FoundCount) and null

I'm using FMP11.

So, I've create a loop that cycles through a table. Within the loop is a Find command that appears as such:

Loop

Enter Find Mode

Set Field [Master::Person; $Name]

Set Error Capture [On]

Perform Find []

If [Master::Person = "William"]

Set Field [Calculation::Will_Count; Get(FoundCount)]

End Loop

The process works, except when there is no record for that individual, the field is left blank... when I need it to become "0".

The reason this is important is because later I use SUM(Will_Count) and it fails (contains a question mark) whenever there is a case where a person/field contains a blank space.

Hopefully I explained the situation.  Any assistance would be helpful as this is the final step of my project.

• 1. Re: Using Get(FoundCount) and null
          jake

This makes no sense, as if there is no record for the individual then there is no where to set the field at 0 unless you create a new record with the person you just found but then the record count will be 1 not 0.

If you want to count the 0, it won't matter how many 0 you pasted the sum(will_Count) will always be the same with 10 zeros or 0 zeros

• 2. Re: Using Get(FoundCount) and null
            philmodjunk

Sum should not return a ? if the field is empty.

Sum ( Will_count ) is also not a syntax that will return anything different that just using Will_count. It's like saying "give me the sum of 5" and the sum of 5 is 5 so it makes no sense to use that syntax (but maybe you were posting imprecisely).

Sum ( RelatedTable::will_Count ) from the context of a related table makes sense, it totals up the contents of the field for all related recors.

Sum (RepeatingField ) works as this sums all the repetitions of a repeating field

Sum ( Will_Count ; Jim_Count ; Fred_Count ) also works, but I wouldn't structure my data like that.

You might look into summary fields and summary reports with sub sumary parts. This can produce totals like you describe here for a report and no looping script is required.

• 3. Re: Using Get(FoundCount) and null
              wbanks

In dealing with the above mentioned, I created a loop, placed the Get(FoundCount) results in a table, created new record for each other these instances, then used SUM(Will_Count) for the final calculation.

Thanks for the assistance.

• 4. Re: Using Get(FoundCount) and null
                philmodjunk

There are much simpler ways to do this.