5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2013 4:48 AM by RickDearden

Using images in quotations print layout

RickDearden

Title

Using images in quotations print layout

Hi,

We have a print layout which is used to display our quotations. It lists the individual items in the Body of the layout and then totals them up in the Trailing Grand Summary area. This all works fine and we're happy with it.

What I want to do is add, for the items which have them, product images below the description line. Again this is fine - I just place the container below on the layout.

This works perfectly when all products have images associated with them.

What happens though is when the items listed are a mixture of products with and without images there is still an unwanted space placed on the output file (the size of the container). I have selected Slide Up and Reduce Size on the inspector tool but it still doesnt work as I'd expected it too.

See attachment for what I mean...

Another weird thing - randomly - running the layout crashes Filemaker every 3-4 times it's ran. The layout is identical to the non-image one except for the container in the layout - and that never crashes the system.

Has anyone come across this problem before and if so how did you overcome it?

Cheers in advance!

Rick.

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: Using images in quotations print layout
          RickDearden

This may make things clearer with my settings shown...

• 2. Re: Using images in quotations print layout
            philmodjunk

To eliminate the crashing you may want to create a new layout to eliminate any possible corruption of that layout.

Enter layout mode

Select the container field

Go to the Inspector's Data tab and select Top alignment on the DATA tab rather than the appearance tab.

Sliding should now work on this layout.

• 3. Re: Using images in quotations print layout
              RickDearden

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've changed it to Top alignment on the DATA tab but it still has the gap in between the items.

Also tried changing the Slide Up options on the Appearance tab with the above settings done.

Any more suggestions?

• 4. Re: Using images in quotations print layout
                philmodjunk

Sliding is only visible in preview mode or when you print/save as PDF. It doesn't happen in Browse mode.

Make sure that the bottom border of the container field does not touch/cross the boundary between the body layout part and the part that follows it.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
                3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
                5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
                7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
                9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
                11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
                13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
                • 5. Re: Using images in quotations print layout
                  RickDearden

Thanks Phil - I resized the container by a few pixels in height and it works fine! It must have been going over the boundary by a pixel or so (as you can see it looks ok on the screenshot from before)...

And the crashing has stopped now!