AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using multiple layouts to create a single dynamic layout

Question asked by TurtleKoala on Sep 7, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 by philmodjunk

Title

Using multiple layouts to create a single dynamic layout

I want to create an employee report, but the fields that I want to include in the report will vary depending on the employee. I can make a report that is somewhat dynamic by using sliding parts and conditional formatting, but this is not ideal as it is causing issues such as page break problems. What I think I am going to do is create a number of layouts to generate different versions of the report and then have the script which generates the report determine which report is appropriate. However, I have a few reservations.

First, I am not the only person who works with this database, and I don't want to confuse other people who work with it, but I don't think that this is a big problem. I'll just make sure that the layouts are hidden from the layout menu so that other users don't get frustrated looking through a long list of layouts whenever they want to go to a new layout.

Second, this will probably require around 10 layouts. I am worried that my boss will start requesting changes to the report, and then I will have to make each change on each version of the report.

I have two questions.

Is there any way to link sections of layouts so that a change to one layout will also change others, and if not, is there some way to create fields and portals in a layout whose presence is conditional upon their contents?

If you want more information about the report, it is the same report that I discussed in

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/0d9517d548

Outcomes