2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 4:41 PM by philmodjunk

using MySQL fields

ShelleyM

Title

using MySQL fields

Hi,

I posted a couple of days ago but haven't heard anything, so I thought I'd try again!

I am using FM 11.  I have a shadow table in my database and I am using one of those fields in one of my layouts.  I need to use this same field in a portal on another layout in the form of a drop down list (I want to use it as the value list for the drop down).  This does not work because the external field cannot be indexed.  I created a calculation field where it equals the field from the shadow table.  This also does not work.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: using MySQL fields
          Sorbsbuster

"I created a calculation field where it equals the field from the shadow table"

Doesn't answer your question, but once a field cannot be indexed, everything downstream of it cannot be indexed either.

• 2. Re: using MySQL fields
            philmodjunk

You may have to import this data from the external table into a local table in order to use it as a value source for your value list. I realize that that option may create new problems for you even as it solves the value list issue.

An alternative might be to use a portal to the shadow table as a "click list" of values. This can even be a filtered portal to reduce the number of values shown. You format the field or fields in the portal as a button and use a script to enter the data from the portal row thus clicked.