1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 9, 2014 8:25 AM by philmodjunk

Using one field to delete text in another

sccardais

Title

Using one field to delete text in another

Field 1 contains text entered randomly. I'm trying to parse out various elements including phone numbers and emails.

Field 2 is a calculation field that contains email addresses extracted from Field 1.

Now I want to remove the emails from Field 1.

Since Field 2 is a calculation, I first need to replace the save the results. What is the best way to do this? Create a new field and use Lookup function?

Once the emails are safely stored, how can I remove the email addresses from Field 1? Is it possible to copy contents of Field 2. Find them in Field 1 and delete - cycling through the entire database this way?

• 1. Re: Using one field to delete text in another
          philmodjunk

Since Field 2 is a calculation, I first need to replace the save the results

Just use Manage | Database | Fields to change field 2's type to text and the latest calculated value will be stored as text in the field.

Replace Field Contents can be used to update field 1. The Substitute function can be used to replace every instance of the text in field 2 found in field 1 with "" to delete that text from the field.